Can you automatically interpolate data?

10-10-2019 06:28 AM
MatthewHedrick
New Contributor II

I am working on a Real-time weather map in ArcGIS Online. I am pulling in weather station data from NOAA which gives me the air temperature at recording stations. My goal is for the data to be interpolated between the points, allowing users to click on their house and receive a pop-up dialog showing them their estimated (interpolated) temperature at their location. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SeanMiller2
New Contributor II

Why not just use the Real Time Mesoscale analysis gridded dataset from NOAA and not worry about the issues you typically encounter with different interpolation schemes and deficiencies that might be present due to the sparsity or uneven distribution of observations? 

0 Kudos
MatthewHedrick
New Contributor II

I have something similar that I wish I could use, but it is a map image layer. Therefore, it does not allow for a pop-up box when the map is clicked, which is what I want. I looked at the link you provided and did not see a way to access the data other than on their webpage.

0 Kudos
SeanMiller2
New Contributor II

The link to the data is here: NCEP Data Products RTMA/URMA, you'll also need to convert from grib2 -> raster format such as NetCDF.

The Climate Data Operators (CDO) offers a way to convert grib into netcdf files:
cdo -f nc copy file.grb file.nc
0 Kudos
MatthewHedrick
New Contributor II

Thank you, but unfortunately I do not have access to my organization's web server to do the file conversion. I found a custom widget that should work out fine. Thank you again for your suggestions.

SeanMiller2
New Contributor II

Awesome! Curious, where'd you find the widget if you wouldn't mind sharing? 

Thanks!

Sean

0 Kudos
MatthewHedrick
New Contributor II

Sure thing! Here is the link:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-10486-weather-widget-version-100-9142017 

I haven't tried it out quite yet as our organization doesn't have WebAppBuilder Developer Edition, but I've been told we are looking into getting it in the near future. Hope it helps you out!

Matt

0 Kudos