Publishing R Script tool to Enterprise Portal as Web Tool

Jump to solution
12-08-2020 03:07 PM
DylanMurphy
New Contributor II

Hi,

Has anybody attempted to publish a script tool created in R using the R-ArcGIS Bridge as a Web Tool before? A Web Tool I am working on relies on a R Script tool as part of the model. The model and the script tool itself both run successfully in ArcGIS Pro with no issues.

In testing this out, I have published the standalone script tool to my organization's Portal and, while it publishes successfully, when I attempt to run it within the portal it fails

My assumption is that I might need to install R, and the packages/dependencies used by the tool, onto the federated server that our Portal runs on. But, as someone relatively new to Enterprise and Web Tool publishing, I could be wrong about this. If I do need to do this, I would appreciate any advice on how to do so, as I am anticipating the package/dependencies transfer process might be a headache. 

Does anyone in the community have any insights into this process and/or experience sharing an R Script tool as a Web Tool in Portal? Any help would be appreciated greatly - this is something I have been stuck on for a while now. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Dylan,

I realized I answered this question in the Enterprise channel and adding my response here for completeness.

You are right, you need R on the server so that once your script tool makes R calls, it has access to the R interpreter.

We have seen some issues with timeouts lately, you may want to increase the timeout time limit in your portal. R can be notoriously slow and this results in a tool that just does not do anything in the portal, where in reality it just cannot finish and times out.

The most streamlined way of sharing the R web tool is creating a script tool in ArcGIS Pro and sharing it, it seems that is exactly what you have done.

Orhun

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Dylan,

I realized I answered this question in the Enterprise channel and adding my response here for completeness.

You are right, you need R on the server so that once your script tool makes R calls, it has access to the R interpreter.

We have seen some issues with timeouts lately, you may want to increase the timeout time limit in your portal. R can be notoriously slow and this results in a tool that just does not do anything in the portal, where in reality it just cannot finish and times out.

The most streamlined way of sharing the R web tool is creating a script tool in ArcGIS Pro and sharing it, it seems that is exactly what you have done.

Orhun

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Orhun,

While it may be relatively simple for someone versed in Enterprise. I have tried setting up R by following Esri Deploying R in Server instructions using the r config point file. When i run my GP Tool, i receive an error to go install R. Does Esri have further images and guidance that can help?

0 Kudos