LocationDisplay not available at SceneView?

Jump to solution
02-22-2023 02:05 AM
Labels (2)
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

I prepared LocationDisplay at V100.8.

At that version (and also at the current Version (100.15.1) , the LocationDisplay is available at Esri::ArcGISRuntime::MapGraphicsView.

Why isn´t the LocationDisplay available at a SceneView?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Norbert,

You are correct, LocationDisplay is currently only supported in 2D mode. There are additional challenges with 3D that need to be considered, including different viewpoint/camera modes, z values/elevation, symbol support, and more. 

We implemented a similar class in our DSA example app to display current location, which you can reference - https://github.com/Esri/dynamic-situational-awareness-qt/blob/main/Shared/LocationDisplay3d.h 

I'll add you to our tracking list of customers interested in getting 3D Location Display.

Thanks,

Lucas

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LucasDanzinger

Hi Norbert,

You are correct, LocationDisplay is currently only supported in 2D mode. There are additional challenges with 3D that need to be considered, including different viewpoint/camera modes, z values/elevation, symbol support, and more. 

We implemented a similar class in our DSA example app to display current location, which you can reference - https://github.com/Esri/dynamic-situational-awareness-qt/blob/main/Shared/LocationDisplay3d.h 

I'll add you to our tracking list of customers interested in getting 3D Location Display.

Thanks,

Lucas

alionthego
New Contributor II

Do you have any time frame for locationDisplay on 3d sceneView?  at least for the default camera controller.  This was supposed to be in the pipeline nearly 6 years ago.

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

It is on our list of things we would like to do, but as there are reasonable alternative workflows available, it hasn't made the cut. I unfortunately don't have a time frame as to when this will be planned. If you can email me (ldanzinger@esri.com) with some relevant use cases and business cases, I will be sure to pass that along to product management so we can hopefully get this feature request some traction.

0 Kudos
alionthego
New Contributor II

I'm quite new to ArcGIS.  Could you point me to a reasonable alternative workflow.  I'm okay with getting and updating the position.  Just would like to know the preferred method to represent this position on the Scene and update.  Currently I am doing this using a GraphicsOverlay and then moving the position each time I receive the delegate call that position has changed.  

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

Your approach is roughly the approach we took in an example app - https://github.com/Esri/dynamic-situational-awareness-qt/blob/main/Shared/LocationDisplay3d.h

There are some interesting challenges to work through, such as whether to drape the symbol on the ground or have it fixed at a given z value above the terrain, and what type of symbol to use.

0 Kudos
alionthego
New Contributor II

Thanks.  This approach seems to work well.

0 Kudos
AndrewWilcockson
New Contributor III

Please add me to the list of customers who would love to see this function implemented.

We have a Map control that allows our users to switch between 2D and 3D maps, and as it stands when they switch to 3D they lose their current location display. As such I have been tasked with writing a solution to replace the LocationDisplay so that we get a consistent visualisation on both 2D and 3D maps.

The LocationDisplay on 2D maps works really well, and ideally a 3D solution that simply displayed exactly the same symbol with the same animations and draped on the 3D scene would be ideal.