Select to view content in your preferred language

How to edit a File Geodatabase using Local Server

08-13-2020 03:03 PM
JessicaTalbot1
New Contributor II

I've created an mpk that references my File Geodatabase, and can display the contents by starting a  LocalFeatureService, creating a ServiceFeatureTable using the url, and then a FeatureLayer from the table. 

According to this, "Map packages are read-only and cannot persist changes to the map. However, it is possible to make edits to the feature data referenced by map packages" and "map package layers reference their datasets via absolute paths and that only file geodatabases (.gdb) or enterprise geodatabases can be edited via the Local Server."

However, any changes I make are not persisted to the gdb. I can see the LOCK files being created when I start the service, so I know it's in there... but it's not modifying the data, itself.

What am I missing?!? Also, is there a way to add a feature class to a fgdb using Local Server?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jessica Talbot‌,

File geodatabases inside map packages (MPKs and MPKXs) can have their data modified. If this isn't working we may have a bug somewhere. Data created as CreateRuntimeContent in ArcMap or Mobile Map Packages from Pro (MMPK) cannot have their data modified as they are stored in runtime GDBs.

You can add feature classes to a file GDB in a MapPackage using GP tools.

0 Kudos