Which Python version for ArcGIS Desktop (not Pro) 10.7?

09-02-2019 11:12 AM
BennyWhite
New Contributor II

I am just beginning to learn Python.  I am trying to decide whether I should learn Python 2.7 which installed with my ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 version.  The current version of Python is 3.7.4.  The latest discussion I can find on this topic is dated 2014 and there have been several version upgrades of both applications in the last five years.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to Esri's desktop products, the choice is made for you.  If you are scripting against ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.x (and likely future ArcMap releases), then you will be using Python 2.x.  If you are scripting against ArcGIS Pro, then you will be using Python 3.x.

BennyWhite
New Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And, there is absolutely no reason to code in Python 2.x unless you have to, like when a product like ArcGIS Desktop only supports it.  Python 2.7 goes end-of-life in 4 months.

0 Kudos
BennyWhite
New Contributor II

So, what I am reading between the lines is that if you want to use current software you need a license for ArcGIS Pro.  I don't think I can afford that but I will check it out.

0 Kudos
BennyWhite
New Contributor II

Joshua,

I am a little dense today.  Are ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro two individual and distinct products, thereby requiring two licenses?  Or.  Is Desktop included in Pro, thereby only requiring one license?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out ArcGIS Desktop licensing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Software applications included in an ArcGIS Desktop license

An ArcGIS Desktop license includes the following five desktop GIS applications:

• ArcGIS Pro
  • ArcMap
  • ArcCatalog
  • ArcScene
  • ArcGlobe
0 Kudos
BennyWhite
New Contributor II

Tried to upgrade to Pro.  Paid for the license.  Downloaded the product.  Installed it.  Won't run, not licensed.  I will try to figure it out tomorrow when some of the ESRI folks can chat or talk on the phone.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcMap and pro are different products but when you buy ArcMap you get pro license free.

The pro license is different from ArcMap and the default type is to get it from ArcGIS on-line (but you can change it to the same license type as ArcMap).

Even if ArcMap and pro have floating license it is still a different license.

Pro uses Python 3.

From my experience 95% of the python code you write in ArcGIS can run in Python 2.7 or 3

Have fun

Mody

0 Kudos