Using Tiled Labels to Annotation to automate converting labels to annotation

08-12-2015 09:23 AM
MarcusArreguin
New Contributor

I have a series of parcel maps I am updating by creating maplex labels and then converting labels to annotation. I would like to automate this process using Python but there doesn't seem to be an ArcPy or ArcToolbox tool to convert labels to annotation other than Tiled Labels to Annotation. I tried this and the two issues were that many labels were placed two or three times within the same polygon (some were placed properly) and the long run time (17 minutes for about 1000 polygons with a three line python-scripted label for each). I added a field to the polygon feature class called TileID and numbered them all '0' and selected it as the Tile ID field, but that didn't help.

It would be great if someone would explain the proper way to use the Tiled Labels to Annotation tool or how to script converting the labels to annotation with Python (or possibly a different way). I am attaching screen shots that show tool inputs and the result on the map.Tiled Labels Results.JPG

Tiled Labels Snip.JPG

Marcus

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I don't have a direct answer, and I haven't dabbled much in Python yet, but have you checked out the help pages?

http://help.arcgis.com/en%20/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//007000000007000000

There is also a question over at StackExchance that might help?

python - Automate converting labels to annotation in ArcMap at multiple scales? - Geographic Informa...

Good luck and don't forget, if you have ESRI licenses, you can contact the help desk and they can walk you through any pieces you are stuck on. Their staff is great at this.