Using ArcPy in Anaconda Python 3.7 distribution

07-17-2020 01:10 PM
robertflamenbaum
New Contributor II

I'm trying to create a comprehensive machine learning and GIS processing environment in Python 3.7. I'm using the Anaconda distribution. I have ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 installed (I think). I've installed the ArcGIS API for Python, which mostly works, however, any process involving the displaying of a map or importing ArcPy fails. Is there a way to install or point ArcPy so that it can be used in my Anaconda environment? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

what are the error messages?

arcpy need python 3.6 currently and it won't be changing very soon

... sort of retired...
robertflamenbaum
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

The arcpy error message is "No module named Arcpy".

If reverting to Python 3.6 will solve the issue, then I will revert to 3.6 and try again.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Arcpy is installed in a particular manner in a conda distribution managed by esri.  It requires that you use "their" python and if you plan to use arcpy, then install ArcGIS Pro (if you haven't already) and it will be available to you.

You won't be able to successfully/(easily) access arcpy from the "outside world".

Python 3.7 adds some nice features, some of which were back candidates to 3.6 but there are no major breaks on the python side that will cause you issues.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why can't your "comprehensive machine learning and GIS processing environment" be in Python 3.6?  What packages/modules require 3.7?

robertflamenbaum
New Contributor II

The main reason I am using Python 3.7 it is the standard release that my team is using. I'd rather stick with the group standard if possible, but if this is not a viable option, I will to revert to 3.6. 

0 Kudos