Type Error with da.UpdateCursor on Versioned Feature Class

11-03-2020 08:23 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm trying to update a character type field by incrementing numbers but I'm getting:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<ipython-input-1-33b310f15b18>", line 11, in <module>
    with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc,'UNIQUE_ID',select)as cursor:

TypeError: cannot update the table‍‍‍‍‍‍

This is the python code I'm running. 

import arcpy
fc = r'\\path\to\versioned\feature class'
ws = r'\\path\to\egdb'
select = "UNIQUE_ID = '0' Or UNIQUE_ID IS NULL"

edit = arcpy.da.Editor(ws)
edit.startEditing(False,False) # changed to True, False for versioned feature class
edit.startOperation()

x = 10100000
with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc,'UNIQUE_ID',select)as cursor:
    for row in cursor:
        t = str(x)
        row[0] = t
        cursor.updateRow(row)
        x+=1
edit.stopOperation()
edit.stopEditing(True)

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

As indicated in the title, this feature class is registered as versioned in an egdb.  If I unregister the feature class as versioned, it works just fine.

Bottom line is I need to update aa character type of field for 3,858 records by incrementing a number by 1 such that the final field value will look like records:

What am I doing wrong here?

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Does the workspace need to be set to the versioned connection?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure what you mean- the feature class is registered as versioned, but the workspace is just the egdb...

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what I mean either! Think I confused the geodatabase versioned view with the versioned FC (luckily and evidently I have no dealings with versioning day-to-day) and thought that the geodatabase connection properties being set to the version might be in the .sde connection file.

I do remember now reading something about the with statement causing issues on cursors for versioned stuff?

Good luck!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks for the interest nine the less: we have two egdb's, test and live.  In test, the feature class is unversioned, and luckily for me there is another unique value field that is populated.  I created a table of the other unique id field and the (emtpy) unique field I need to populate and ran an update cursor as shown in my code on that table.  Then I joined that table to the live egdb feature class and calculated my target field with the joined field values  Done...

0 Kudos