SynchronizeChanges_management Much Slower using Arcpy, than Geoprocessing Tool

Jump to solution
12-12-2016 06:27 AM
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor

When I run the synchronize changes geoprocessing tool in ArcMap, it only takes under 10 seconds when there are no changes.  However if I run this in arcpy it takes up to a minute to run.  Any thoughts why its so much slower when running in a script?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

try this script and see how long it takes to run:

import arcpy

Depending on your infrastructure, it can take 30 seconds++ to load a license of ArcMAP (the equivilant of opening arcmap desktop) which a external script is required to do each time its run.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LukeWebb

try this script and see how long it takes to run:

import arcpy

Depending on your infrastructure, it can take 30 seconds++ to load a license of ArcMAP (the equivilant of opening arcmap desktop) which a external script is required to do each time its run.

JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor

I have it printing a message before it executes that's GP tool and it that prints within 5 to 10 seconds. Then the command finishes at close to 2 minutes. My work around to get it to execute faster was to publish the GP results to ArcGIS Server and the just make Rest calls in Python. This is actually faster than ArcMap, since server is 64bit. Get around the loading time since instances are already available.

MarkL
by
New Contributor III

Hi Luke,

Did you ever resolve this issue?

M

0 Kudos
LukeWebb

Hi Mark,

For us, our license server is in the USA, whereas we work in the UK.  We notice that the script above can on a good day, run in approx 5 seconds. But when our LAN is slow, it can take 30-45 seconds, which when your changing 1 charecter in a script can be frustrating. 

Checking out (borrowing) the license using Adminstrator may help, havent actually tried it! (Dont do much python at the moment sadly)

0 Kudos