Script for Creating Mapbook Index

01-05-2012 05:25 AM
DavidDesmond
New Contributor II
I???m trying to automate the process of creating a mapbook index.

I have two layers: streets layer and page index layer. Streets may span across more than one page within the index layer. I???m trying to export a text file with one column containing street names and a second column containing each index page that the corresponding street exists within.

Example:

StreetA    ???12,13???
StreetB    ???3,7,9???
StreetC    ???20,21,22,23???

If anybody has any tips for how to create a python script to accomplish this task I would be greatly appreciative
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you looked at the methodology outlined in the "arcpy.mapping MapBook with Index Pages" sample on the resource center?  There is a very complete README doc.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=FBE3D235-1422-2418-8820-E071E...

Jeff
0 Kudos
DavidDesmond
New Contributor II
Jeffrey,

Thank you very much for responding to my post. I checked out the link you posted. The script downloaded from this site creates index pages that don't combine like roads.

For example the index pages from the mapbook in the link look like this:

RoadA:  3
RoadA:  4
RoadA:  7
RoadB:  23
RoadB:  24

I'm able to get to this point, but I'm looking to combine like roads into one record with each index page listed as a single attribute.

For example I'm trying to convert the above output into the following:

RoadA:   3,4,7
RoadB:   23,24

If anybody can give me some tips on how to do this I would be very appreciative.
0 Kudos
ScottJackson1
New Contributor II
I have come up with a simple solution to the dreaded Create Street Index.  Just read the README to see how it works. I do hope this helps.
0 Kudos