Replacement for IDLE in 10.1

Jump to solution
08-15-2012 07:47 AM
TomHoober
New Contributor II
I used to use PythonWin in 10 but apparently (at least that I have seen) there is no updated version for Python 2.7 yet (installed with 10.1).  Does anyone have any recommendations that they know is supported in Desktop 10.1 / Python 2.7?  My co-worker tried installing PyScripter but it failed in 10.1 as well.  I am not a big fan of using the out of the box IDLE.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Correct, you will need the 32 bit version. I am pretty sure I just used the exe to install, but there shouldn't be an issue either way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
PyScripter is what I use for 10.1 without any issues.
0 Kudos
TomHoober
New Contributor II
Ok.  As I have personally not done the install for that I cannot say if it was a mistake during the installation or if it was an actual software incompatiblity.  Do you know if this is what I am looking for?  I assume that since Desktop is not yet 64 bit that the Python they have is 32 as well?
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Correct, you will need the 32 bit version. I am pretty sure I just used the exe to install, but there shouldn't be an issue either way.
0 Kudos
TomHoober
New Contributor II
Thanks for all your help.  I brought it up with my co-worker and he confirmed he tried to do a 64 bit install.  I just ran the 32 bit installer and everything worked out fine.  Thanks for your help and the quickness of your responses.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Ok.  As I have personally not done the install for that I cannot say if it was a mistake during the installation or if it was an actual software incompatiblity.... I assume that since Desktop is not yet 64 bit that the Python they have is 32 as well?

The help says PythonWin is still shipped with the software, but I can't find it in my distribution. It does work with ArcGIS 10.1.

PythonWin can be downloaded here. (Go the most recent build and look for the file "pywin32-xxx.win32-py2.7.exe")

sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32

A future update to Desktop 10.1 is being tested that allows 64 bit background processing on ArcGIS Desktop -- though you will probably continue to do ArcGIS script development using Python-32.

In addition to its capable IDE, PythonWin includes windows-specific modules that allow you to easily interact with the Win32API, Office apps, etc.

Personally, I'm a big fan of WingIDE. I have found it well worth the $100 for the Pro version.
0 Kudos
TomHoober
New Contributor II
That was the main problem I saw with PythonWin with 10.1, the discrepency between them saying that it comes with the software and the reality that it doesn't.  That made me a little worried because I witnessed what happpens when you install a Python IDE that doesn't mesh with Arc (basically it gets real messy).  However, I can see on that page that it does support 2.7, so it looks like I can run with it as well.  Thanks for your input as also.
0 Kudos
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
I rather like IDLE.... but then, I like vi too...
0 Kudos