Problem running Python Toolbox with 64-bit Background Geoprocessing

03-18-2013 09:05 AM
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
Hello all. I have been experiencing consistent crashes trying to process large datasets (>100,000 features) with my custom python toolbox tools, which I believe to be a memory issue, as smaller datasets run smoothly. I know about the potentials using <multiprocess> and <subprocess>, etc., but the implementation seems too tedious, and wanted to see if 64-bit background geoprocessing would process these large datasets. After installing and assigning the new 64-bit paths to my PYTHONPATH, I found that all my tools crash immediately without an explanation. Looking at the sparse documentation, it appears that tools will not function if they call third-party modules, or use tools from a list of specific ArcGIS toolboxes. None of my tools do either of these things, but they do import custom modules that I wrote which use only native arcpy and Python mods. Are you similarly unable to import other custom modules (i.e. scripts), or is something other than third-party mods or blacklisted tools crashing my toolbox? If importing other scripts is not allowed, is the recommendation to throw all your functions into the toolbox? I was avoiding doing this, as it makes the code unreadable.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
it appears that tools will not function if they call third-party modules, or use tools from a list of specific ArcGIS toolboxes. None of my tools do either of these things, but they do import custom modules that I wrote which use only native arcpy and Python mods.

Third-party modules should work fine if they are installed in your 64-bit Python.

Are trying to access unsupported datatypes?
0 Kudos
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
My mistake --- the third-party modules must be 64-bit as well to work. My code, which does not include anything third-party regardless, also does not include any of the unsupported data types. It works solely in GDBs, uses only ArcGIS tools, and imports only native modules like <math> and <random>. It imports Spatial Analyst tools and <env>, and checks out SA as it should. Again, the tool runs fine without 64-bit processing.
0 Kudos