Looking for ArcGIS programming/web application programming courses-any suggestions

09-10-2015 10:31 AM
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

My employer is ready to pay for ArcGIS web development courses and wants me to provide them with a list of courses and expenses. Please share any info you might have on different course lines and all price ranges available. I would like to extend my python capabilities also. If anybody has any review of courses they are working on in JAVA API or any other languages used for ArcGIS web development please share your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks,

Nikki

0 Kudos
16 Replies
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III

Have you looked to see what's available at http://www.esri.com/training/main

0 Kudos
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Yes but these are very expensive specially for the duration of training and I am really a starter do you think one should learn core JAVA before diving into GIS specific programming. What other skills would be required?

Thanks for your reply.

FreddieGibson

What are you needing to develop?

0 Kudos
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

So we want to share our GIS data with the organizations for general analysis or as a resource over the web. No data editing is required just basic analysis.

So basically having different layers with point and area features and display of info as a popup when they click on particular feature and turning on and off the layers.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Based on your needs, it sounds like you could make use of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Once you get your training nailed-down, you could slowly make your way into Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers to customize and increase your capabilities, and then, you could have full control with the JSAPI, if needed - ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Like you, I started as a GIS Analyst, then, through self-training over the years, moved into web development - not really doing anything with GIS. When a need came about for GIS, I developed our mapping application, but the Web AppBuilder wasn't an option, so I had to jump right into the JSAPI. It was a bit of a learning curve, even with a couple of years of ASP.NET and JavaScript experience under my belt, which is why I would recommend you start with the Web AppBuilder.

Here's some questions clarifying the Web AppBuilder:

Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Here's a link to some popular developer and Python training options from Esri: Esri Training

FreddieGibson

So it sounds like you'd be interested in training for the JavaScript API. Would that be correct?

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/

0 Kudos
NavKa
by
New Contributor III

Looks like yes. but where do I start?

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson

I have some extra questions for you.

1. Do you have a GIS background (i.e. do you understand GIS programming workflows)?
  2. Do you have a programming background for any language?
  3. Have you ever used JavaScript?
  4. Are you familiar with web development?
  5. What type of learning environment do you prefer? Classes where someone walks you through the materials, books where you can read the materials on your own, online videos where you can watch someone going through the materials, etc.
0 Kudos