Jupyter Notebook: Runtime Error (Python-GIS)

01-30-2020 12:58 PM
DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

I am taking a Python class where we are using Anaconda and Jupyter notebooks. I received the error below, anyone know what this means and how to fix it?  Thanks!

Error

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In order to use arcpy you have to have ArcGIS Pro installed and licensed. If you have it installed and licensed, try opening it (and leaving it open) and then running the script.

0 Kudos
DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

My professor specifically told us as a class to not install ArcGIS Pro and only ArcGIS Desktop. I'm the only one in my class that is showing this error. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you opened and licensed ArcMap?

0 Kudos
DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

Yes, I am using my 1-year student licences.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It seems to go way back to the "import arcpy" line. 

ArcMap is installed on your machine properly?

Can you do an "import arcpy" without issue?  If you can't then did you check out the professor's html file about how to install the "classtools" module?

0 Kudos
DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

In past notebooks, I was able to "import arcpy" just fine. It wasn't until this time that the error occurred... it's very odd. My professor confirmed that I installed the "classtools" module correctly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

start an empty notebook and run one line at a time 

DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
DWR_JessicaSwift
New Contributor II

Now I just skipped the notebook I was working on (the one giving me the errors) then tried the next Notebook in my assignment list and everything worked. Could the issue be with the notebook I was sent to work on?

0 Kudos