Is there any way for Python to connect to both a geodatabase created in 10.0 and 10.6?

Jump to solution
04-19-2018 05:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying to write an ETL script that will take data out of our existing legacy Desktop 10.0 geodatabase and load those features into a new geodatabase created in Desktop 10.6. Am I going to have to create and maintain 2 different development environments to accomplish this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Looking at the link that  Jake Skinner provided, a 10.6 client can only connect to a geodatabase as old as 10.2.x. Maybe it is best to use an older client, connect to the old EGDB and export a XML and use the new client to import that into the new EGDB (or better pass it to a staging GDB and implement any changes before importing the data into the new EGDB). See also: Export XML Workspace Document—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
XanderBakker

With 10.6 you can connect to data stored in version 10.6 and 10.0. I don't think you can use version 10.0 to connect to data in 10.6.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've tried connecting to our 10.0 geodatabase(s) through .sde connections in Catalog 10.6, but not having any luck.

geodatabase issue

Going somewhat off topic now (not talking about python) but it's essentially the crux of the issue. I was under the assumption that 10.6 couldn't connect to 10.0 enterprise geodatabases. PS the enterprise GDB uses direct connect (not SDE services) but there are custom class extensions on the geodatabase (yes, we're that old  ) but I'm thinking that's not going to affect how Desktop connects with the DB.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Derrick,

Here is a link that shows Client and Geodatabase Compatibility:

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

XanderBakker

Looking at the link that  Jake Skinner provided, a 10.6 client can only connect to a geodatabase as old as 10.2.x. Maybe it is best to use an older client, connect to the old EGDB and export a XML and use the new client to import that into the new EGDB (or better pass it to a staging GDB and implement any changes before importing the data into the new EGDB). See also: Export XML Workspace Document—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update: Turns out that the version of SQL Server is too old for Desktop 10.6 to connect to (2003, 32 bit - remember when I said all of our stuff is old? ) So it wouldn't matter what Enterprise GDB we use anyway. What we're doing now is sunsetting the old infrastructure and putting in all new stuff, ergo my question.

I may try what you have recommended, Xander - use the older client (10.0 to just dump the XML out and then use 10.6 everything from there on out. As another question - do you know if Export XML Workspace will A) even work with class extensions and B) take the class extensions with the export? Trying to get rid of those nasty things, not keep them around.

Thanks so much for all the help!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Perhaps this might help:  How To: Remove a feature class extension from a geodatabase 

That should just about do it....
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Meh, PRO needs to Server Posting capabilities first.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

There are no plans to include the ability to publish services to a standalone ArcGIS Server implementation using ArcGIS Pro. ArcGIS Pro publishes to portal (which will create the services in ArcGIS Server). You should consider migrating your stand alone Server implementation to Enterprise to be able to really to implement the Web GIS pattern. See this document: http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/migrating-arcgis-server-to-arcgis-enterprise.pdf  After migrating to Enterprise, migrate to Pro.