Is it possible to use the Python installed by ArcGis Pro outside of it?

06-13-2016 04:54 AM
Arturo_OpsetmoenAmador
New Contributor

Hi!

I am trying to use the Python installed by ArcGis Pro (v1.2) linked to an IDE (PyCharm). The only Python installation in my WINDOWS system is Python 3.4 Installed by ArcGis Pro under the c:\Python34 folder (Python.exe).

I get errors of "Python.exe Access denied" both from the command line and from PyCharm. I have tried to change the permissions of the folder and its contents ticking off the "read only" option but again, I get "Access denied" errors, not only for Python.exe but also for a "License.txt" file within the Python34 Directory.

Is the Python installed by ArcGis supposed to be only used within the Product? or is there a way to make it my system's Python default?

Thanks a lot for any useful help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Python installation with ArcGIS Pro can be used outside of ArcGIS Pro.  I too use PyCharm, and I currently have it using the ArcGIS Pro Python installation as the default interpreter.

If you are getting an "Access denied" error on the License.txt file, you definitely have a file system permission problem.  What are the permissions on the folder?  Who is the owner of the folder?  Was the Python installation installed under a different user profile?

Arturo_OpsetmoenAmador
New Contributor

Hi, Joshua!

Thanks a lot for your reply

As you can see below there are different Groups With different Properties for the folder:

pythonprop1.pngpythonprop2.pngpythonprop3.png

I see now that I don't have this "special permissions" and maybe that is the Source of my problem. I remember doing the installation only for my user (Amador Arturo Opsetmoen). I will try uninstalling and re-installing again...

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos