import arcpy, os, time from datetime import datetime from datetime import timedelta #set map doc and the layer to be used mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("Current") mapLyr1 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "NEW_BiState_Grid400_IowaSP")  mapLyr2 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "NEW_BiState_Grid100_IowaSP")  #alpha will be assigned a letter to rows2 update, there are 16 place = 0 alpha = ['A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P'] searchrow = 0 ck1 = searchrow ck2 = ck1 + 1 ck3 = ck2 + 1 ck4 = ck3 + 1 ck5 = ck4 + 1 cl1 = timedelta() cl2 = timedelta() cl3 = timedelta() cl4 = timedelta() cl5 = timedelta() rows1 = arcpy.SearchCursor(mapLyr1, "", "", "Name") rowcount = int(arcpy.GetCount_management(mapLyr1).getOutput(0)) allrows = (rowcount + 0.0) for row in rows1: clock1 = datetime.now() bigtile = str() arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(mapLyr1, "NEW_SELECTION", '"FID" = %s' %searchrow) bigtile = row.getValue("Name") print bigtile searchrow = searchrow + 1 prgrow = (searchrow + 0.0) arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(mapLyr2, "HAVE_THEIR_CENTER_IN", mapLyr1, 0, "ADD_TO_SELECTION") rows2 = arcpy.UpdateCursor(mapLyr2, "", "", "", "FID") for row2 in rows2: row2.tile = bigtile + alpha[place] rows2.updateRow(row2) place = place + 1 if place == 16: place = 0 arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(mapLyr1, "CLEAR_SELECTION") arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(mapLyr2, "CLEAR_SELECTION") prgrss = ((prgrow / allrows)*100.0) rowsleft = rowcount - searchrow clock2 = datetime.now() clock3 = (clock2 - clock1) if ck1 == searchrow: cl1 = clock3 ck1 = ck1 + 5 elif searchrow == ck2: cl2 = clock3 ck2 = ck3 + 5 elif searchrow == ck3: cl3 = clock3 ck3 = ck3 + 5 elif searchrow == ck4: cl4 = clock3 ck4 = ck4 + 5 elif searchrow == ck5: cl5 = clock3 ck5 = ck5 + 5 if searchrow < 5: pass elif searchrow > 4: clock4 = ((cl1 + cl2 + cl3 + cl4 + cl5)/5) clock5 = (clock4 * rowsleft) clock6 = str(clock5) arcpy.AddMessage("The last 5 iterations averaged %s" %clock4) arcpy.AddMessage("%s estimated time remaining" %clock6) arcpy.AddMessage("%d%% completed - row %d out of %d rows" %(prgrss, searchrow, rowcount)) arcpy.AddMessage("______________________________") del mxd, row, rows1, row2, rows2, searchrow, place, bigtile, rowcount, prgrow, allrows, prgrss, rowsleft, clock1, clock2, clock3
I have gotten some massive performance gains using in_memory over HDD workspaces, especially if you don't use RAID/SSD drives. I did some benchmarking a while back but can't find the results. Depending on the task it could be twice as fast to 20 times faster. Cursors on in_memory tables were the most gains IIRC.
And yes, the caveat, you also have to keep on eye on the size of data you are writing to memory. I've crashed machines not being diligent about what is in memory and clearing unneeded data. 64-bit geoprocessing won't help you when trying to commit 64GB of data to memory.
def clearINMEM(): """ clear out the IN_MEMORY workspace of any featureclasses, rasters and tables """ try: arcpy.env.workspace = "IN_MEMORY" fcs = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses() tabs = arcpy.ListTables() rasters = arcpy.ListRasters() ### for each FeatClass in the list of fcs's, delete it. for f in fcs: arcpy.Delete_management(f) arcpy.AddMessage("deleted: " + f) ### for each TableClass in the list of tab's, delete it. for t in tabs: arcpy.Delete_management(t) arcpy.AddMessage("deleted: " + t) ### for each Raster in the workspace, delete it for r in rasters: arcpy.Delete_management(r) arcpy.AddMessage("deleted " + str(r)) except: arcpy.AddMessage("The following error(s) occured attempting to clear WS " + arcpy.GetMessages(2)) return
Thanks for the tip Faith, I'm going to use this today.
Just fyi, yo may want to edit your post for a typo
Fatih Dur wrote:
I know it is an old post but worth mentioning that arcpy.Delete_mamangement("in_memory") does all for you.
Edit: for what it's worth, at least in 10.3.1 James Crandall 's script seems to be working more reliably for me....but then again, I still don't know that I'm using in_memory correctly.
I understand that in_memory is good until it's all used up and then it's super slow.
arcpy.env.workspace = "in_memory"
mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("Current") arcpy.env.workspace = "in_memory" mapLyr1 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "NEW_BiState_Grid400_IowaSP")  mapLyr2 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "NEW_BiState_Grid100_IowaSP")  arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(mapLyr1, "in_memory\pyLyr1") arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(mapLyr2, "in_memory\pyLyr2") pyLyr1 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "pyLyr1")  pyLyr2 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "pyLyr2")