Feasibility of Moving Python Script Using ArcPy into Docker

Jump to solution
12-06-2021 11:32 AM
MikeSayre
New Contributor II

We currently have a python script running on a Windows 2016 server where ArcGIS Pro is installed.  The script runs as a scheduled task and uses arcpy geoprocessing functionality to manipulate GIS data.  The script uses a couple of licensed extensions in addition to an ArcPro concurrent license from a license server.  I've been asked to see if this functionality could be converted to a Docker microservice.  Would this be feasible?  One of the things I'm wondering about is if arcpy could still obtain the needed licenses without a full-blown ArcGIS Pro install on the system. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilipOrlando
New Contributor III

My team is trying to solve the same problem and we haven't been able to identify a solution. Judging by the fact that an Esri rep has not responded to your question in over a year, I'm guessing that ArcGIS Pro does not officially support the use of docker containers due to the licensing issues that you mentioned. Containerization is an essential component within the modern GIS stack and it's frustrating that Esri won't recognize this and provide official support for it...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhilipOrlando
New Contributor III

My team is trying to solve the same problem and we haven't been able to identify a solution. Judging by the fact that an Esri rep has not responded to your question in over a year, I'm guessing that ArcGIS Pro does not officially support the use of docker containers due to the licensing issues that you mentioned. Containerization is an essential component within the modern GIS stack and it's frustrating that Esri won't recognize this and provide official support for it...

0 Kudos