Select to view content in your preferred language

Expression used in ArcMap not working the same in Pro - Help

06-28-2023 02:07 PM
DanaYoung
Regular Contributor

So I'm trying to get this expression I have for our Mile Markers layer to work in Pro as it has in Arc Map, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Please see screen shots for visual. In Arc Map I was able to use this expression in the labels SQL query window: mile_nmrc / 5 = ROUND(mile_nmrc / 5, 0) to show labels as every 5 miles apart. However, when doing this in Pro, it doesn't give me the values that are every 5 miles and I'm using the same expression within Label Properties - Class - SQL query. I have tried to put this expression within just the label expression, but that doesn't work there either.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That statement works fine for me in Pro on a similar dataset. Where's the data coming from?

Could you try a different statement, like MOD(mile_nmrc, 5) = 0?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DanaYoung
Regular Contributor

DanaYoung_0-1687991263391.png

This is what I get when I try that. This data is coming from an sde database.... could that be the issue? I was hoping to get these to work and upload it into my organizations Portal. Would it be best to just try to do the expression there and not through Pro first? And it seems to accept the other expression, but my labels don't change they stay as every mile instead of every 5....

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, the SDE will determine what functions are even available to you. I'd see if you can get a simple query to work directly, then attempt to bring that into Pro once you're certain it works.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DanaYoung
Regular Contributor

Yeah I just changed the source of that layer to the file geodatabase layer and all works just fine in pro. Do you know where I can find more information about these different databases and what functions with what for pro and online? I'm still new to some of these things. Thank you for your assistance!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's getting outside of the scope of Esri stuff. You'll have to ask your DB Admin or whomever manages that database to find out what platform it's running, whether it's MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc., and then go to that provider's documentation to see what functions are available to you.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DanaYoung
Regular Contributor

Okay thank you! I appreciate the help. And giving me a direction to look in.

0 Kudos