Esri Geodatabase to OSM

06-07-2021 03:48 AM
MartinAnok
New Contributor II

I would like to convert Esri Geodatabase (where I have points and lines features) to OSM. I found  this: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ogr2osm , that can help me.

I installed ogr2pbf:  https://pypi.org/project/ogr2pbf/ via python (pip install ogr2pbf). But I don't understand how to use it. How I can add my input and output data?

I am new in python and I hope someone will have enough patience to explain it to me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "to OSM", and why you want to do that? Do you mean that you want an actual *.osm file? Or do you mean you want to get your data into OpenStreetMap? What is the end result you're envisioning?

I'd recommend looking at ogr2ogr, a GDAL tool, if you're just looking for file conversion. It can handle import/export of basically any filetype, including File Geodatabase and OSM files.

If you're trying to get your data into OSM, that's a whole other can of worms, but I won't get into it unless that's actually your end goal.

You might also look into JOSM, a fantastic tool for working with OSM data. With an extra plugin installed, JOSM can open a GIS file in some other format (shapefile for sure, unsure if FGDB is supported) and save it directly to a .osm file.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MartinAnok
New Contributor II

Thank you, Josh!

I am looking for file conversion. I installed GDAL and use it via OSGeo4W Shell. I used "ogrinfo" for Esri geodatabas and for osm file and get information about that files (and also messages: using driver `OpenFileGDB' successful, using driver `OSM' successful).

Then, I tried to use this:
ogr2ogr -of OSM data.osm data.gdb
But I got this message: ERROR 1: OSM driver does not support data source creation.2

How I can fix it?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. Admittedly, I've never used ogr2ogr to produce an OSM file before, so I wasn't certain it was the right approach.

Looking at the OSM wiki's table of file formats, it looks like there is a python script someone developed to go ESRI → OSM. I can't vouch for it personally, but the author does say he used it for both shapefiles and geodatabases.

I don't know how many layers you're working with and if this is at all feasible, but if you'd rather just brute-force it, you could still

1. Export the GDB to shapefiles
  2. Load the shapefiles into JOSM using the OpenData plugin
  3. Merge the resulting layers into a single data layer
  4. Save As → some_file.osm

I have done this process in the past, working with some of our Open Data layers that we wanted to convert to an OSM format for importing / updloading to the OSM database. It was not too tedious.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos