Create a perpendicular line to a stream segment and plot elevation profile

07-25-2013 09:52 AM
MohamedJalloh1
New Contributor
I am trying to create a python-addin button such that when I click on a stream it will create a perpendicular line to the stream at that point (or if by some error I click very close to the stream it will snap to the stream). I want to be able to specify the length of the line.Once it has created the line as a shape-file, it should then interpolate shape(elevation) from a DEM(Lidar) and plot the elevation profile.My intention is to be able to use GIS to get an idea of the width to depth ratio of a stream before ground truthing and I want to do this with just one click of a mouse button using ArcGIS.I have very little background on coding and this is my first time doing this.If any one out there have done something similar and can help me I will appreciate.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
GerryGabrisch
Occasional Contributor III
This tool will create a perpendicular line at a user defined length from the center ( or end nodes) of the line.  It is not exactly what you want but the code is a starting point to solving your problem.
ftp://lnnr.lummi-nsn.gov/GIS_Scripts/createperpendicularlines.zip
0 Kudos
JW_Mapguy
New Contributor II

How about creating perpendicular intersecting lines at specific points along the line, as defined by actual points that run along the line at arbitrary distances from each other? So I have a line, and along that line there are six points. I want intersecting lines drawn at each of those points.

0 Kudos
GerryGabrisch
Occasional Contributor III

That tool that I created will create a perpendicular line but the "perpendicular line" is perpendicular to an imaginary line that runs from the start node to the end node so some care is required to get what you want. If you want to create perps at specific places why not create a new line file where each line is tangent to your stream course at the intersect of the point locations, buffer the points some reasonable distance, clip the tangent lines so your tangents are centered on the points, then run the perpendicular lines tool creating new perps at the midpoint of your tangent line.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Which would give you the line, then you could use StackProfile_3d to get your profile.

R_
0 Kudos
MohamedJalloh1
New Contributor
This tool will create a perpendicular line at a user defined length from the center ( or end nodes) of the line.  It is not exactly what you want but the code is a starting point to solving your problem.
ftp://lnnr.lummi-nsn.gov/GIS_Scripts/createperpendicularlines.zip

Thanks I started looking at your codes
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Or you could look at Ianko's tools :
http://www.ian-ko.com/

The ET surface module can animate cross section of a surface going down a route (a stream line for example).

Cheers,
Neil
0 Kudos
MohamedJalloh1
New Contributor
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post.
0 Kudos
DianneYunker1
New Contributor II
I want to do this too.   I want to be able to get perpendicular lines to a stream network at certain pre-defined points.  Then get profiles of those.  Hmm.
0 Kudos
BBicking
New Contributor II

To All....
if you're interested in getting a tool that generates perpendicular lines and considers m-values and z-values you may want to support this posted idea --> https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/generate-transects-along-lines-tool-define-spacing/id...

0 Kudos