Convertion from WGS84 to Lambert (North Pole) & Mollweide

Jump to solution
03-29-2017 07:12 AM
KONPETROV
Occasional Contributor III

Hi I have a shapefile for all countries and I want to project it in the two above Systems. When I am trying with Project tool none transformation is suggested or can be found. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're using Mollweide (world), it's based on the WGS84 geographic coordinate system, so no transformation is needed. The same may be occurring with the Lambert (polar) coordinate system. The geographic (datum) transformation only enables with a list if it's needed--that is, when the input and output geographic coordinate systems are different.

Melita

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is a transformation expected?

0 Kudos
KONPETROV

mm, what do you mean?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if it needs one, it will pick one... or you can select from the drop-down list if you want.

In this case wgs84-nad83-wgs84 was picked... no biggie since they aren't critically different given the area you are mapping and the type of projection you are using.  You won't be using those projection for any measures of geometry.

KONPETROV

I have to create two world maps with these projections. But at the window of Geographic Transformation none options is given. This is what troubles me. So the only thing I can do is to change the projection from Table of Contents? Layer-Properties-Coordinate System-Projected-Mollweide (world) ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Use the project tool as shown above ... it will allow you to produce new files in the desired coordinate system. If the transformation, as shown above, doesn't get autopopulated, then none is needed.  A geographic transformation, may or may not be needed, it just provides fine-control over the resultant coordinates.  If you need two maps in a different coordinate system, then pop open the Project tool in Arctoolbox and follow the picture above

KONPETROV

@Dan Patterson thanks a lot both of you, I must read more about projections, datum, projected and geographic systems as it seems.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

at least keep the images in mind so you can follow along when you read

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're using Mollweide (world), it's based on the WGS84 geographic coordinate system, so no transformation is needed. The same may be occurring with the Lambert (polar) coordinate system. The geographic (datum) transformation only enables with a list if it's needed--that is, when the input and output geographic coordinate systems are different.

Melita

KONPETROV

thank you a lot for your reply, now I got it

0 Kudos