Arcpy Overlay Layers "Unable to get geoanalytics URL." Error

Jump to solution
07-29-2020 12:02 PM
MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

I am currently building a simulation using arcpy in ArcGIS Pro to analyze randomly generated points that intersect with preset line transects. The arcpy.CreateRandomPoints_management() function works as expected, but when I  run the arcpy.geoanalytics.OverlayLayers() function in python, the function fails and I get the error "Unable to get geoanalytics URL". However, when I run overlay layers using the geoprocessing toolbox using the exact same parameters I do not get any errors. I tried to google this error but have not found any related information. I have provided the code below:

import arcpy

randomName = "pythonRandomPoints_test"
overlayName = "layer_test"
number_of_points_or_field = 60000

arcpy.CreateRandomPoints_management("C:/Users/User/Documents/ArcGIS/Projects/Default.gdb",
   randomName,
   "shp_file",
   "",
   number_of_points_or_field,
   "",
   "POINT")

try:
   arcpy.geoanalytics.OverlayLayers('transects_t',
      randomName,
      overlayName,
      "INTERSECT")
except arcpy.ExecuteError:
   print(arcpy.GetMessages())

#Start Time: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 14:28:09
#Running script Overlay Layers...
#Unable to get geoanalytics URL.
#Completed script Overlay Layers...
#Failed to execute (OverlayLayers).
#Failed at Wednesday, July 29, 2020 14:28:10 (Elapsed Time: 0.87 seconds)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hey Matthew Poppleton‌,

It looks like you are using the GeoAnalytics Server toolbox. Can you confirm you have an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment set as your active portal and that deployment has a GeoAnalytics Server? 

Thanks,

Sarah

GeoAnalytics Product Engineer

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try setting your workspace in your script explicitly so that the paths to your inputs and outputs are known

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thanks for the response. I gave this a try and declared my workspace directly using arcpy.env.workspace. Unfortunately I am still met with the same error.

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hey Matthew Poppleton‌,

It looks like you are using the GeoAnalytics Server toolbox. Can you confirm you have an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment set as your active portal and that deployment has a GeoAnalytics Server? 

Thanks,

Sarah

GeoAnalytics Product Engineer

MatthewPoppleton
New Contributor II

Hi Sarah Ambrose‌, sorry for the late reply. I checked and do not have an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment set up at all. I will see if I can get permissions to set this all up with a GeoAnalytics server. I must have overlooked these steps when I started using the GeoAnalytics server tools, thank you for the help.

0 Kudos