arcpy.DisconnectUser is throwing this error - RuntimeError: Unable to disconnect: The connection ID provided is for the current administrator connection

Jump to solution
12-12-2016 06:49 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

I have three different levels of database connection in ArcCatalog on my PC which I use to connect to our Enterprise GDB for various reasons.

I have my user level connection for data editing.

I have one called GISADMIN which is the Data Owner

And another with is called SDE which is the Geodatabase Admin User.

I have no access to the Database Admin User, this is managed by our in house I.T Dept.

I am trying to use the arcpy.DisconnectUser function in a python script, but no matter which of the connections mentioned above I use, I get the following error:

>>> arcpy.DisconnectUser(r'Database Connections\SDE@SDE_Spatial@SDE-DB.sde',123494)
Runtime error 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 1086, in DisconnectUser
    return gp.disconnectUser(sde_workspace, users)
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 504, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
RuntimeError: Unable to disconnect: The connection ID provided is for the current administrator connection
>>> ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

I have confirmed this by trying to use all three connections, also trying to disconnect several different connections from my Enterprise GDB.

Something strange is that if I put a completely random session ID in my python snippet, the exact same error is returned....

I am perplexed as to why this is happening to me, and I am unable to track down why this seems to have started happening all of a sudden. 

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas for me?  

Nathan Duncan

Cheers

-Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenVan_Kesteren1

Just to close off my own question, it turns out that for some reason the permissions had changed on my Geodatabase Admin (SDE) User and this was causing the problem.

I had to elevate to my in house IT Dept to resolve.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BenVan_Kesteren1

Just to close off my own question, it turns out that for some reason the permissions had changed on my Geodatabase Admin (SDE) User and this was causing the problem.

I had to elevate to my in house IT Dept to resolve.

DonnaRiebe
New Contributor III

This same thing happened to me.  I suspect the solution will be the same.

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

I believe what happened is that our IT team audited the SQL Server permissions and noticed our SDE account had quite high privileges, and as I am not located 'within' the IT team this is against business rules, so they revoked my access as SDE Admin, which in turn caused this error to rear its head. 

Once my IT team restored previous permissions all was good again.

Cheers

0 Kudos