ArcGIS 10.1: How to create several Parcels from existin Points via Python Programming

05-09-2014 05:48 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I just learn the Minimum Bounding Geometry (Data Managements)/Geoprossing to do "Convex_Hull" from "Multipoint Input" in my ArcGIS 10.1 - it just produces a single parcel from the points in the outer area of the existing points.  This is not what I need in my environment investigation project of "Incremental Sampling Methodology" that collects several soil samples from each of parcels and analyzes the soil samples in the chemical laboratory. The average of chemical results of soil samples in each parcel is used to represent the chemical result of each parcel. Thus, I need to create several parcels from existing points via Python Programming in ArcGIS 10.1.
Please kindly help and advise.

Thanks in advance,
Scott Chang

P.S. I manually create parcels from points in ArcGIS 10.1 - Using Arc Catalog to create a new polygon file (shapefile => Go to Editor (on mxd Map) to start Editing => Use the Construction Tools to draw the parcels (i.e. using "polygon") => pick the points (e.g. EH4, EH6, EH7-h and EH6 - see the attached docx file) to form a parcel/polygon.  I got the following error: The feature could not be created. The geometry is invalid in the "Create" box.  I think that using the Python Programming can do this task "to create several Parcels from existin Points" on the mxd Map directly and effectively
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III
Hello Scott

I'm unsure about how you want to create the parcels. If you are trying to create them using only the sample points, you could try something like Create Thiessen Polygons.
0 Kudos