After Creating Multiple Ring Buffer need to apply Custom Symbology to each Ring

10-14-2015 03:46 PM
martywalters
New Contributor III

I need to be able to apply "no fill color" and different outline colors to each ring after creating a Multiple Ring Buffer.

The Values are always different and the amount of rings could be between 1 and 10.

Note this is being done in  arcpy

thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

You cannot directly create symbologies using arcpy, you would need arcobjects.  However, you can set up a .lyr file with the symbology you need and have the .lyr file symbology applied to your multi-ring buffer output.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
martywalters
New Contributor III

Ian,

I have arcObjects can you point me to an example?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

convert to polylines, multipart to singlepart if necessary, ensure there is a size field of some sort and symbolize according to that

0 Kudos
martywalters
New Contributor III

when i try Apply_Symbology_From_Layer  the Value(s) have to match to be applied. 

ie if the distance rings are 100,200,300 only matching rings of the same values get symbology applied.

i don't know what the values will be... any way to build it out so it's applied by something like ring1, ring2..., ring10

using apply symbology from layer?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So you want something that is not know at the time of construction? The only way that can be done is to create the maximum first and use it for the remainder.  There reaches a point when trying to account for the unknown or unaccounted for begins to waste development time.  If you know that your maximum number of rings is going to be 10, then I would create a sample to produce the layer symbology​

0 Kudos
martywalters
New Contributor III

From the Input Feature(s)

I know that I want ring 1 to have a red outline, Outline width 2, and  no fill color no matter the Distance

I know that I want ring 2 to have a blue outline, Outline width 2, and  no fill color  no matter the Distance

I know that I want ring 10 to have a green outline, Outline width 2, and  no fill color  no matter the Distance

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good...then you have the rules to apply to the sample that you will have to create to produce the lyr file.

0 Kudos
martywalters
New Contributor III

have rules yes,  but rules will only be applied when the Distance "Value" in the template lyr exactly matches the user input for that ring distance...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

FID, OIDName would be consistent and a text field with ring1 etc could be used for labelling​

0 Kudos