Advanced Reporting With Python

01-27-2021 12:29 PM
JeffHanson2
New Contributor III

We are going to develop a PDF report that is currently created using a Python GP service and Microsoft Reporting Services as a stand-alone GP service without the microsoft .net piece.   I am looking at Pandas and ReportLab as possible tools to accomplish this fairly advanced reporting task.   Has anyone had any experience with these tools and have some wisdom and experience to share.   I am starting fresh with both of these and with advanced Python reporting from a GP Service.   Goal is a PDF file.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What do you intend to do? 

Maps/layouts mostly?

You have ruled out Reports Reports in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ?

Do you intend to complile the pdf using external materials as well?  (spreadsheets, other text, tables from Word etc etc)

How is your python?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JeffHanson2
New Contributor III

We have a Soil Report format that includes a table of values that is calculated on the fly.  The report also includes a logo, title, township-section-range information, a map and branding.   Currently it is created using JavaScript and Microsoft Reporting Services because it is tied into an old ASP.Ne/ArcGIS JS API.   We want a standalone geoprocessing service to create it.   We are thinking of building an Excel template and then using xlswriter to update it with the current farm field's soils information.   Maybe we use ReportLab to get to PDF format.   I am advanced Python but not expert.

Thank you for replying.

0 Kudos