Add a Georeferenced Tiff to ArcMap 10.3.1 via Hyperlink or Current Extent

02-17-2016 08:18 AM
AnnMarie_Bergmann
New Contributor

I have over one hundred georeferenced tiffs that I would like to add to an ArcMap session based on either 1) the current extent or 2) a hyperlink within an attribute table. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can this be done using Python?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can obviously create a python script to make a feature layer out of the files using Make Feature Layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The source of the files could be in a folder on disk, a reference to filenames in a field etc.

The question remains, do the feature layers have to intersect the current extent? be completely contained? etc.  This will make difference to the form of the code.

Also, how many times do you have to do this?  Daily? once? occasionally?

It almost sounds like a manual load would be faster, including any exclusion options

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You should look at loading them into a mosaic dataset.

What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Then you would only have to reference the one dataset and the imagery would automatically load no matter what your extent.  Better then having to load a different one each time.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have access to a Standard or Advanced license (required for creating a mosiac dataset), the alternative if to use  Create Raster Catalog—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and create a unmanaged raster catalog. These draw fast and when you are zoomed out you will only see the extents of the rasters.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Do you have ERDAS or ENVI ? Those will enable you to automate hundreds of imagery and it is way easier than doing in ArcGIS.

I have done that with many Landsat 8  in the past from southern California all the way to Western Texas and from Utah all the way down to Arizona, New Mexico.

0 Kudos