Constructing the new ArcGIS ProToolboxes info needs elaboration

12-21-2020 09:45 PM
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I bet you are wondering why ArcGIS Pro 2.7 has a Toolbox folder!!! And they don't contain *.tbx files (for the mostpart).

C:\YourInstallFolder\Resources\ArcToolBox\toolboxes

And inside that folder are folders with "stuff" in them for every tool in ArcToolbox.

I bet you were wondering how they go from a "folder" to a *.tbx !  Right?!

How about a blog post from the dev people on making the transition?

How about a help topic on it.

8 Comments
curtvprice

I was told during beta testing that this is being set up for Esri distributed tools only and they will expose tools and documentation so users can create their own toolbox folders in a later release.

There are apparently some huge performance and functionality improvements with this new format.

DanPatterson

Beta is where I got on to the new format... just trying to dredge out some official commentary from the dev team with no success 😁 .  There are a few interesting things that can be done thanks to the new format

curtvprice

Guess you need to sign up for 2.8 testing, which I'm sure will be coming soon now that 2.7 is out the door!

http://earlyadopter.esri.com 

DanPatterson

Yeah... you should, they will most likely have another rollout before UC (virtual or not).  python 3.7 finally came out, but I suspect the pressure is on to get 3.8 out the door.  3.6 was terminal since numpy isn't supporting it when np 1.20 comes out.  Hold backs include the packages du jour for AI and ML.

I was kind of hoping for simple text editing like the 2.x/3.x dialogs, this is different but useful.

If you have time... I was going to sign up for Field Apps, but I figured that since we are in lockdown there wasn't much point 😉

MarkBryant

The closest they come to a help topic is the How To, with a mention a step 8

How To: Create and store a custom Python system toolbox in ArcGIS Pro

curtvprice

Mark, These Python toolboxes are not new. @DanPatterson is talking about a new toolbox format only used for system tools that will be available to users at a later release.

DavidWynne
Status changed to: Open

Hi Dan,

It's still a private specification, and is likely to change in the future. 

-Dave

DavidWynne
Status changed to: Closed