python 3.6... what is new in the Anaconda distribution

02-09-2017 05:22 PM
Labels (1)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 4 1,651

New ... Now that python 3.x is 8 years old, it became obvious that Continuum would update their package distribution

I have just started playing with doing non-Arc*ish stuff for now since only the 3.4 3.6 distribution is officially supported in ArcGIS PRO.  I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my old-time favourite IDEs back ... Pythonwin ... by Mark Hammond.

Mix a little Spyder, 'win and Jupyter console across multiple screens working on separate things and they all behaved nice.

I will post more as I find it... but for now, here are they are... (pycharm and others will join the play group when I have time).

anaconda for python 3.6

And a closer look at Spyder

Check it out and compare anaconda package documentation

:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matplotlib

Yes... version 2.0.0 is now here.  check ... http://matplotlib.org/ for more information 

It is part of the new distribution and enables you to work with the 'classic' style (sic status quo) or the new style.

4 Comments
EricWarner
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

You gave me hand with an IDE issue where I tried to adopt PyCharm for ARCGIS API development.  I was able to get Spyder up and going, which really didn't involve anything more than launching it as all the dependencies already in place.  Unfortunately having the same problem as the PyCharm IDE, where the output is unable to be generated.  I have tried two different output (from the same Notebook sample codebase).  Specifically,

import arcgis
from arcgis.gis import GIS

ago_gis = GIS()
search_subset = ago_gis.content.search("NYC_taxi_subset", item_type = "Feature Layer")
subset_item = search_subset[0]
subset_item

Should pop up;

Tried taking different approach by trying to generate pandas data frame 

import arcgis
from arcgis.gis import GIS

ago_gis = GIS()
search_subset = ago_gis.content.search("NYC_taxi_subset", item_type = "Feature Layer")
subset_item = search_subset[0]
subset_feature_layer = subset_item.layers[0]
query_result = subset_feature_layer.query(where = 'OBJECTID < 5', out_fields = "*", returnGeometry = False)
att_data_frame = query_result.df
att_data_frame

Should generate the following table (cut off some columns to left);

Like PyCharm the code runs but no output.  have you been able to get any sort of visual output from executing python code against the ARCGIS API?  Just wondering as it seems that no IDE except Jupyter can do that.

Thanks,

Eric

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jupyter is the one for the map stuff.  I set it up in a similar fashion and I think showed the shortcut creation there.

EricWarner
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Two quick follow up questions, 1) Is the shortcut a link between Jupyter and Spyder? and 2) if so I'm not seeing how that is done from the above blog material, can you point me?

Thanks,

Eric

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No... IPython not Jupyter... the latter is standalone and for visualization, teaching, mapping, but not heavy lifting from what I have seen in my testing.

The image shows the shortcuts I use

proenv.bat - commandline access to installing module

spyder   - obvious  programming, graphing, pretty well everything you need in an IDE and more

Jupyter qtc  - a quick shell for python stuff... don't expect much but it is there

Jupyter notebook ... that is what you want for the mapping stuff

About the Author
Retired Geomatics Instructor at Carleton University. I am a forum MVP and Moderator. Current interests focus on python-based integration in GIS. See... Py... blog, my GeoNet blog...
Labels