ArcGIS Pro ... installation, package updates and installs

06-27-2019 11:39 PM
Labels (1)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
3 5 6,604

A dministrator privileges … or you know the IT peeps … or you have created a cloned environment.

Pick one.

My installation path :     C:\arc_pro   ….. everything beyond this point is the same

Your installation path :   C:\...........    ….. got it?

Table of contents

Download and install tips

1  Follow the help topics:

ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Download, install, and authorize—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

2  Go back to step 1.

Really, it is good and should be read, especially the part about your computer being able to run the software

3  My Esri, My Organization, Downloads

If it is there, it will look like the following:

4  Installation steps for retentives

Now, don't hit the Run option!  It is tempting, but there is Save and Save As.  Save As will be used.

To prepare for this, you should have done the following (not!, I am guessing)

•  Make a folder to download your software ....
    • C:\users\you\whatever\downloads ... is no good, just because
    • C:\Computer\ArcGISPro_2x is good... simple, obvious and you own it
    • Download the *.exe to that folder using Save As
  • Right-click on the *.exe file and run it as administrator, specifying the above folder as the destination
  • Do the same for the *.msi file and you will automagically get a bunch of stuff in that folder AFTER the installation is complete... just follow that, but your folder should look like the following

Where step 1 is the main installation folder you created and downloaded the *.exe (2), when you run the *.exe, you will get the folder in step 3, and run the *.msi and you get the rest of the stuff.

Why do I do this? 

Because if things go really really bad, you will know where the ArcGISPro.msi file is, so when you have to do a complete uninstall, you can reinstall within a minute. 

Simple... no remembering or letting Microsoft Parent decide where things should go

What I did next

I do the conda thing... some legacy but relevant reading

/blogs/dan_patterson/2017/07/01/arcgis-pro-2-creating-desktop-shortcuts 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/13/spyder 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/07/01/arcgis-pro-your-conda-environments 

Crank up conda through whatever means to run ...proenv.bat which sets everything up.  What is show below is what happens when I created a shortcut (Dolly) and messed around with the python ide so it isn't as dark and gloomy as yours will be.

I needed the following to do the programming I need and I did it in the following order.

1  Update numpy

• (arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3> conda update numpy

2 Downgrade sphinx to 1.8.5  (needed IF you document your scripts, otherwise the documentation will look horrible)

• (arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3> conda install sphinx==1.8.5

3  installed sphinx_rtd_theme   Getting Started with Sphinx — Read the Docs 3.5.3 documentation 

You can skip this step if you don't do documentation or produce reports, or use Markdown or reStructured Text (or know what I am talking about )

• (arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda install sphinx_rtd_theme --no-pin

4  Install spyder

• (arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda install spyder

Tips

Never, never install without doing a test run first!

(arcgispro-py3) ….snip …. >conda install some_package --dry-run 

Then examine what it is going to do.  Sometimes, nothing 'bad' will happen, but you should at least make a copy what you are about to install.  If things go bad, you can roll back through the 'revisions' to a previous state.

Revision History from this install

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda list --revisions
2019-06-27 20:36:30  (rev 0)  Fresh install of ArcGIS Pro 2.4 in this example
    +arcgis-1.6.1 (esri)
    +arcgispro-2.4 (esri)
    ... huge snip ....
    +zeromq-4.3.1
    +zlib-1.2.11

2019-06-27 20:40:06  (rev 1)    The numpy upgrade
     ca-certificates  {2019.1.23 -> 2019.5.15}
     certifi  {2019.3.9 -> 2019.6.16}
     cffi  {1.12.2 -> 1.12.3}
     .... snip ...              
     numpy  {1.16.2 -> 1.16.4}
     numpy-base  {1.16.2 -> 1.16.4}
     .... snip .... 
    +pywin32-223
    +zipp-0.5.1
2019-06-27 20:47:46  (rev 2)   And So On.
    +alabaster-0.7.12
 .... snip .... 
2019-06-27 22:07:03  (rev 4)  And finally
    +sphinx_rtd_theme-0.4.3

Now if anything goes wrong, (Assuming I want to go back to revision 1)

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda install --revision 1  (change 1 to your revision)

A little conda in spyder anyone?

Just remember to change directory into your conda environment (ie cd c:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3 in my example.

Note:
There are load of IPython line and cell magics that can be used with Spyder.
Summary of magic functions (from %lsmagic):

Available line magics:
  %aimport  %alias  %alias_magic  %autoawait  %autocall  %automagic  %autoreload
  %autosave  %bookmark  %cd  %clear  %cls  %colors  %conda  %config  %connect_info
  %copy  %ddir  %debug  %dhist  %dirs  %doctest_mode  %echo  %ed  %edit  %env  %gui
  %hist  %history  %killbgscripts  %ldir  %less  %load  %load_ext  %loadpy  %logoff
  %logon  %logstart  %logstate  %logstop  %ls  %lsmagic  %macro  %magic  %matplotlib
  %mkdir  %more  %notebook  %page  %pastebin  %pdb  %pdef  %pdoc  %pfile  %pinfo
  %pinfo2  %pip  %popd  %pprint  %precision  %prun  %psearch  %psource  %pushd
  %pwd  %pycat  %pylab  %qtconsole  %quickref  %recall  %rehashx  %reload_ext  %ren
  %rep  %rerun  %reset  %reset_selective  %rmdir  %run  %save  %sc  %set_env  %store
  %sx  %system  %tb  %time  %timeit  %unalias  %unload_ext  %varexp  %who  %who_ls
  %whos  %xdel  %xmode

Available cell magics:

%%!  %%HTML  %%SVG  %%bash  %%capture  %%cmd  %%debug  %%file  %%html  %%javascript
  %%js  %%latex  %%markdown  %%perl  %%prun  %%pypy  %%python  %%python2  %%python3
  %%ruby  %%script  %%sh  %%svg  %%sx  %%system  %%time  %%timeit  %%writefile‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Certainly enough command line stuff to reminisce about the days of 40 character displays and green crts

Good luck
5 Comments
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Wow, Dan, you didn't waste any time. Thank you!  I have found the link to check to see if your computer can run Pro (Can You Run It) is very helpful, I recommend it to all before installing Pro, you'll learn some good things to know about your setup.

In our university setting, I find it very helpful to post the software locally on our network drive with my install script. I copy this install setup folder to USB drives in lab so everyone doesn't hit it at once! All users have to do double-click the script. A plus is current patches are plopped in there and get automatically applied.

ArcGIS Pro silent install script

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Curtis.  Good idea on silent install.  We went the alternate route of reimaging the machines weekly (remotely) since Pro isn't the only thing causing system flotsam

LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan

Thanks for the great outline and intro to Spyder.  I had always used other IDE but after reading your blogs and comments it looks like this is well integrated with ArcGIS Pro and is a great IDE.

I did run into one small issue setting Spyder 3.3.6  up on a new Pro 3.4.1 installation.  Upon starting Spyder, I received an error message that "an error occurred while starting the kernel".  Upon further investigation found the root error was "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'win32api'.  Looking back at the installation logs, +pywin32 was not included as part of the "conda update numpy"  statement when executed per my Revision 1 info.  

A quick additional statement - "conda install pywin32" resolved the issue and everything is working great.

Thanks again for all you do and your continued support.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Lance Cole‌ I didn't get that error message since I installed Mark Hammons' pythonwin as one of my IDE's which ships with and is the source of win32.

I kind of keep it off to the side when I need code-folding (coming in Spyder 4, currently entering the last stretches of beta).  Besides... it is old school, and it was one of my first IDE's .  I will update the docs if the dependency isn't there in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 (beta soon, I hope) since I do a complete wipe and reinstall for each major release (or get a new machine).

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS

Don't forget....

Spyder... for coding with Python

Try

%conda list

Or if you prefer the conda environment....

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/10/08/making-conda-package-installs-easier 

About the Author
Retired Geomatics Instructor at Carleton University. I am a forum MVP and Moderator. Current interests focus on python-based integration in GIS. See... Py... blog, my GeoNet blog...
Labels