Relationship classes in Feature Service

03-30-2021 09:34 AM
FlorianSteiner
New Contributor III

Hi there,

we are having some issues, possibly related to relationship classes. We use Feature Services to edit Features using WebGIS (JS API). There is one Service containing a layer based on a feature class (point features), which is in a relationship class with another feature class (polygon). It is a composite 1-M relationship, that moves the polygons, whenever the point is moved. Important to mention: The feature class is located in an enterprise GDB, based on SQL Server. We also use SQL-Triggers to automate some tasks.

That normally works fine. However, under some circumstances, the edit fails (service-response: error 500, "Unable to perform applyEdits operation."). This seems to be the case if the SQL-Trigger and the relationship class both try to edit the related features.

BUT: If we do the same edit in ArcMap using a direct GDB-Connection, there is no problem. There is also no problem if the SQL-Trigger is disabled. Only the combination triggered via a Feature Service seems to produce some kind of conflict.

I read (Prepare data to publish a feature service—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise) that the related layer has to be part of the service. However, it only says "table", not "feature class". I still tried this and, surprise, it didn't help.

Any ideas on that? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

We also use SQL-Triggers to automate some tasks

I wonder if the argument can be made to abandon your triggers in favor of attribute rules. In a former life I used SQL triggers in a SqlServer backend SDE (now enterprise) and I was under the impression then that triggers were not a supported feature for ArcGIS.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
FlorianSteiner
New Contributor III

Hejhej Joe,

thanks for your "out of the box"-answer. We definitely are looking forward for this. However, currently we are not yet using ArcGIS Pro and we have thousands of lines of SQL-code used in triggers, that we can't immediately transfer to attribute rules. I even doubt, that all features are possible with attribute rules.

Best regards
- Florian

0 Kudos