Map Service label issue when adding to AGOL Web Map

Jump to solution
02-02-2021 02:58 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After publishing a public map service we noticed that labels (created at the ArcMap level) show up when adding the full map service to an AGOL Web Map: https://arcgis.gis.lacounty.gov/arcgis/rest/services/DRP/ZNET_Public/MapServer 

But when adding the individual layer from the map service to the AGOL Web Map, labels do not come across: https://arcgis.gis.lacounty.gov/arcgis/rest/services/DRP/ZNET_Public/MapServer/2 

Has anyone run into this issue before? 

Any work arounds you have found, or the reason why this might be occurring? 

Thank you!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Liza

When adding the full map service, the map viewer sends an Export Map request to ArcGIS Server and it is rendered server-side.

When accessing an individual layer, the map viewer sends a Query request to ArcGIS Server, returning geometry which is rendered by the browser.  It would appear that for this scenario, the map viewer doesn't construct a text symbol to render the labels, which is why you don't see them.

In somewhat of a workaround, you can add the full service to the map and remove all of the layers that you don't want to be part of the TOC.  This sends a Dynamic Layer request to ArcGIS Server, and the labels are displayed.

I've checked in the latest Map Viewer Beta and the behavior is the same, but at least the new version comes with more labelling options than the original map viewer.  Might be worth adding this as an idea if there isn't already one on GeoNet 😊

Cheers

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Liza

When adding the full map service, the map viewer sends an Export Map request to ArcGIS Server and it is rendered server-side.

When accessing an individual layer, the map viewer sends a Query request to ArcGIS Server, returning geometry which is rendered by the browser.  It would appear that for this scenario, the map viewer doesn't construct a text symbol to render the labels, which is why you don't see them.

In somewhat of a workaround, you can add the full service to the map and remove all of the layers that you don't want to be part of the TOC.  This sends a Dynamic Layer request to ArcGIS Server, and the labels are displayed.

I've checked in the latest Map Viewer Beta and the behavior is the same, but at least the new version comes with more labelling options than the original map viewer.  Might be worth adding this as an idea if there isn't already one on GeoNet 😊

Cheers

Craig

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Craig, our workaround right now is using the whole map service.  I also played around with Map Viewer Beta and the labels, it's not going to work for this instance but its a good option.

0 Kudos
MMeer
by
New Contributor

Thank you, this worked for me.

0 Kudos