way to hide a service or folder from the Service Directory?

02-15-2011 11:58 AM
JohnCartwright
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

Is there a way to suppress a map service or entire folder from being displayed in the Service Directory?

Thanks!

--john
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I suspect that you know this but can set permissions on both folders and services.  If you do not want a user to see things then this would be a way do so.

Perhaps what you want is to have these present but just not discoverable via the services directory?  Sort of like hidden files in the file system.

Another option is to not give users access to the services directory.
0 Kudos
JohnCartwright
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for your reply Richard.  I'm really looking to only suppress the listing of a given service not require authentication nor hide all the other services.

--john
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor
It's possible to apply security, but leave the services/folders that should be accessible to everyone available. The public services will be secured, but 'open', like putting a lock on a door but leaving it unlatched.

See:
Security Guidance: ArcGIS Server .NET Active Directory Membership Provider

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/enterprise-gis/details?entryID=6382235E-1422-2418-34B8-776A...
0 Kudos
MarinProdan
New Contributor II

Hi john.c.cartwright, to hide services in ArcGIS Server you need to to open: http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis/admin

then click services

open folder with your services and click your service name. If you don't publish intro folder, click your service name. Scroll down the page and click edit:

and add "deprecated": "true", into your service, and click Save Edits:

Service will be restarted and hide in rest folder for public users, but if someone find full path to your service, He can open them.

0 Kudos
BeccaBlackman1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the clear explanation and pics on hiding services - I have a ton of services - is there a way to hide folders instead?

0 Kudos
Boyang_Wang
Occasional Contributor II

I am eager to know the answer to this question as I have tons of services too. Thanks!

0 Kudos