Unable to upload shapefiles to an Base Deployment of Enterprise(v10.8.1) and publish as a hosted feature service.

12-02-2020 08:34 AM
LaurenceCramer
New Contributor II

Any idea how to debug a GPServer task/job? I'm not able to publish a hosted feature service from a shapefile uploaded to the portal, but I cant seem to find out why it failed.  I just get the following error in the logs: 

Failed to publish item 'https://<FQDN>/server/rest/services/Hosted/<Uploaded_Layer>/FeatureServer' (id:6859b4abc8e443a699c6e...

https://<FQDN>/server/rest/services/System/PublishingTools/GPServer/Publish%20Portal%20Service/jobs/jdc21ba2e0bf24...

Workflow to reproduce: 
From Content tab in portal, Add Item > From your computer > Select zipped shapefile > fill out fields (tag not shown in image below but was filled in) > Add. 

After processing, I'm taken to the Feature Layer (hosted) page and get a small error message in the upper righthand corner. 

The Hosted Feature Layer will show up in my content list but cannot be added to used anywhere. 

My Enterprise instance is v10.8.1, Basic Deployment, Federated with a Server using a relational DataStore. 

Error Codes  are both 219999. 

I've tested with 3 different shapefiles and same result. I am _however_ able to succesfully publish a hosted feature service using the same shapefiles if done through Pro2.2 or via an ArcPy.GIS script. 

Inkedimage_LI.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 
Can you create a new Hosted FS layer ok to eliminate SHP upload and publish workflow as well as to double check Data Store Relational is setup correctly / ArcGIS Server registered w Datastore Relational is internally federated ok with Portal?
Try Content > My Content > Create (not Add Item) > Feature Layer > choose any from templates but easiest is General > Points feature layer, and post result here.

@ShanonLoughton 

0 Kudos
LaurenceCramer
New Contributor II

I was able to create a Feature Layer using the create workflow above. I'm also able to publish Feature Layers from an ArcPy script as well. The call to publish a feature service after upload is what seems to be the issue. If I don't have the `Publish this file as a hosted layer` checkbox marked, the shapefile will upload correctly and when re-downloaded have the correct data in it. 

Is there a way to check the relational DataStore itself is set up correctly beyond validating in the server manager? 

LaurenceCramer_0-1607012831534.png

additionally, I ran the validate federation query in portal admin and go the following results (I replaced the url in the output with `<FQDN>` manually): 

ArcGIS Server administration URL 'https://<FQDN>/server' is accessible.
Validating hosting server.
ArcGIS Server 'https://<FQDN>/server' version matches with Portal for ArcGIS.
Verified that server has an ArcGIS Data Store registered as a managed database '/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ds_aaukmt7a'.
The server managed database '/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ds_aaukmt7a' validated successfully.
Validated that the ArcGIS Server site is not in read-only mode.
Configured missing offlinePackaging helper services with Portal for ArcGIS.
Restarted OfflinePackaging service in the hosting ArcGIS Server.
Validated that the publishing tools service of ArcGIS Server site is started.

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello @LaurenceCramer,

If you are able to publish a hosted feature service from a template and both data store and the federation validate it's possible the issue is specific to the shapefile. To gain more insight into the failure I would recommend reviewing the ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS logs after attempting to add the shapefile to portal. The logs should help narrow down the point of failure during the publishing process. 

Portal for ArcGIS - About portal logs

ArcGIS Server - Work with server logs

Thanks,

Thomas.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LaurenceCramer . It is likely that the issue is with the shapefile specifically if  hosted publishing from a template is successful. One simple thing to try would be to add this shapefile to an ArcGIS Pro Map from the Catalog pane to make sure that it draws as expected. Once this is confirmed, create a folder from the Catalog pane, and copy or move this Shapefile into a folder. Using Pro to move the Shapefile into a folder will ensure that all of the different file components that comprise the shapefile are properly packaged together. You can then use Windows File Explorer to zip this folder specifically. I would then try uploading this file to Portal for ArcGIS and publishing it as a hosted feature layer. This should rule out any data-specific issue, granted that this shapefile functions as expected when it is opened in Pro.

-Jacob

0 Kudos