Register (SQLExpress) Database

12-29-2022 11:58 AM
Kara_Lara
New Contributor III

I've created a new SQLExpress database to be used as a published feature layer. I open the ArcGIS Server Properties to register the database, but when I click "Add" next to "Publisher database connection", nothing happens. It used to work for me & still works for my GIS Mgr on his computer. We did have all of our software upgraded from 10.4 to 10.8 several months ago & I don't believe I've tried this process since. Our permissions are mirrored, so that's not the issue. I can see & validate all existing registered databases from my computer as well.

Wondering if I need to have ArcMap Desktop uninstalled & re-installed? Anyone else experience this issue or have any guidance?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Can you verify that you are using an Admin connection to the server? You could also reset your Catalog profile (Rename the ArcCatalog folder to ArcCatalog_old) before doing a re-install. The path is here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.8\ArcCatalog

Are you able to add the database connection through the Server Manager?

0 Kudos
Kara_Lara
New Contributor III

I have both Admin & Publisher connections. No matter where I try to add a connection to a new database, the same response occurs in the process. I reset my Catalog profile using your process above, thank you! Same results occur, however. "Import" button works & if I uncheck "Same as publisher database connection" the "Add" button works for the Server database connection (but not the Publisher database connection). And then after that, I'm unable to click "OK". I attempted the process through the ArcGIS Server Manager, but there's only an option to "Import" the connections there, not "Add".

Thank you for your time! I may have to contact ESRI or reinstall...

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

It sounds like the GIS Server is having an issue making the database connection. The two things I would check are:

1. Ensure that the correct SQL Native Access Client is installed on all GIS Servers participating in the GIS Site.

2. Make sure that the account running the ArcGIS Server service has access and permissions on the new database. I think that with workgroup, the only way to connect is with Windows Authentication, so these are not SQL Server database users.

I also noticed that the Help page states this requirement-

• A SQL Server Express instance enabled to store workgroup geodatabases. This instance must be installed on the same machine as your workgroup ArcGIS Server site.

I hope that helps, and if not Esri Support will be able to get you the rest of the way. If there is something small missing, (and there usually is) they will be the ones to find it.

0 Kudos