Publish a private feature service but leave the map service component public

Jump to solution
06-16-2021 02:10 PM
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

I have published point dataset as a Feature Service to ArcGIS Enterprise 1071.

This creates a map service and feature service. In Portal, I can change the security of these individually > Map service shared to Everyone and Feature Service shared to a group. 

TigerWoulds_0-1623877781389.png

But it still appears that the Feature Service is publicly accessible and editable. Am I doing something wrong here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_Spence

If I recall correctly, you can't do that.  It is an all or nothing proposition.  I would probably go the route of not publishing as a feature service for what you want public and running a separate service that that has feature service enabled for the private one.  Yes, you'll get 3 services from it, but you'll get what you are looking for.  As a side note, feature services are lighter weight than a map service and would probably do better.  Just turn off what you don't want folks to do on the public side.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
John_Spence

If I recall correctly, you can't do that.  It is an all or nothing proposition.  I would probably go the route of not publishing as a feature service for what you want public and running a separate service that that has feature service enabled for the private one.  Yes, you'll get 3 services from it, but you'll get what you are looking for.  As a side note, feature services are lighter weight than a map service and would probably do better.  Just turn off what you don't want folks to do on the public side.

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

Great tips - thank you!

SaraDilbert
New Contributor

Is creating multiple services of the same data still the best solution if you want to be able to share a non-hosted feature layer publicly, but make it editable only by certain users/groups? 

We're trying to accomplish this goal in our organization, but don't want to have the services hosted (we have the data in a registered SQL EGDB), and therefore can't use the hosted feature service views option. I'm trying to verify whether or not creating multiple services of the same data is still the only way to accomplish this. Thanks for any insight!

0 Kudos
John_Spence

Good afternoon Sara,

For non-hosted feature services, yes...making multiple services would be the best approach as there is no way to guard the front gates for a public service. This allows you to configure the services and their functions differently for viewers vs. editors, etc.

Hope that helps.