Select to view content in your preferred language

Map service performance by turning off fields?

Jump to solution
05-05-2022 03:05 PM
DanielWebb
Occasional Contributor

I have not seen this answered anywhere.

Does anyone know if drawing performance improves on a map service by turning off unneeded fields when publishing from ArcGIS Pro?

Does popup performance improve by turning off unneeded fields?  Or does it not matter so long as the popup only uses a handful?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@DanielWebb 

Does anyone know if drawing performance improves on a map service by turning off unneeded fields when publishing from ArcGIS Pro?

It should not when you use map service's /export operation (aka you add that as a map image layer in a client app and the export calls draw them on the server side)

But if you add a layer off your map service as a "feature layer", then the client app brings all feature geometries (and attributes including the ones that you think unneeded) to the client side. That will increase the download payload and might impact the performance.

Does popup performance improve by turning off unneeded fields?

it might since you bring less amount of data over the wire.

That said, it is always a good practice to turn off visibility of fields that are not needed by your service client apps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@DanielWebb 

It should not when you use map service's /export operation (aka you add that as a map image layer in a client app and the export calls draw them on the server side)

But if you add a layer off your map service as a "feature layer", then the client app brings all feature geometries (and attributes including the ones that you think unneeded) to the client side. That will increase the download payload and might impact the performance.

Does popup performance improve by turning off unneeded fields?

it might since you bring less amount of data over the wire.

That said, it is always a good practice to turn off visibility of fields that are not needed by your service client apps.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Along with the poor performance of the service, are any errors being generated in the AGS Manager logs?

0 Kudos
DanielWebb
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure there were errors, just slow performance. I rebuilt the service from scratch, turned off unneeded fields, simplified symbology even more than it was, etc.  All of those things combined seems to have helped a lot.

Thanks for the help.

DanielWebb
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for the answers.  It gave me things to think about and try.

0 Kudos