Select to view content in your preferred language

cached services won't display in Javascript API, even though they're up and running and show up in ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
05-02-2022 02:56 PM
JackDrost
New Contributor III

We migrated several tile caches from an old ArcGIS Server machine to a new one.  All worked fine until today, when for some reason they will not display via REST services.  They are up and running, and display normally in ArcCatalog, but if I go to my REST services directory, none of the tiles will show up.  The common factor among these services is that in ArcGIS Server manager all of the troubled services have references to a "service workspace" that's located on a server that we recently retired. I can't figure out how to remove the reference to the old data.  The feature class that the service workspace references is a layer that is not needed at all; furthermore, I was under the impression that if it's a cached service then there's no need to have any reference to feature classes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JackDrost
New Contributor III

Problem solved, thanks to Jason Harris of ROK Technologies!  Apparently (as I suspected) the reference to the retired server was causing the problem, but the solution involved a sneaky workaround.  I deleted the old service (but not the cache folders), then re-published (in ArcMap) a new service with the same name as the existing cache folder. The new service had the same projection and same cache settings as the old one, but with nothing but a small-size placeholder layer in it.  Once I clicked 'publish', it worked! Somehow the fact that the service and the cache folder were named the same thing meant that they reattached to each other; i.e. the brand new ArcGIS Server service recognized the existing cache.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattFancher1
New Contributor III

@JackDrost maybe a long shot... but is "allow per request modification of layer order and symbology" enabled? If so, try disabling that and restarting the service.

Newer versions of Server have that enabled by default, while some of the older services have it disabled by default. It's tripped me up once or twice.

0 Kudos
JackDrost
New Contributor III

Problem solved, thanks to Jason Harris of ROK Technologies!  Apparently (as I suspected) the reference to the retired server was causing the problem, but the solution involved a sneaky workaround.  I deleted the old service (but not the cache folders), then re-published (in ArcMap) a new service with the same name as the existing cache folder. The new service had the same projection and same cache settings as the old one, but with nothing but a small-size placeholder layer in it.  Once I clicked 'publish', it worked! Somehow the fact that the service and the cache folder were named the same thing meant that they reattached to each other; i.e. the brand new ArcGIS Server service recognized the existing cache.

0 Kudos