ArcMap and ArcGIS for Server

06-17-2021 08:09 AM
RajeshPatnaik1
New Contributor

Hi,

I have vector data of very huge size, 200gb. I need to publish these to a Web site.
I want to create cached map from vector data to publish in ArcGIS Server.
I know that to create cached map, i need ArcMap.

I have following questions:

1. Is ArcMap comes bundled with ArcGIS Server?
2. Do I need to install ArcMap in the same machine where ArcGIS Server is installed?
3. what should be the disk size of the server for 200gb of vector data?

4. can cached map be created in ArcGIS online?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I will start by answering your first two questions:

1.  No, ArcMap is not bundled with ArcGIS Server

2.  No, ArcMap does not need to be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Server.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@RajeshPatnaik1 

since you are taking the 'caching/tiled/precooked' route, I'd suggest you to go with Vector Tile Service/layer. For that you need to switch to ArcGIS Pro.  Not sure whether you can create a Vector Tile Service from arcgis online though.

ChrisPy
New Contributor III

Thats a massive data to publish as a service, to be honest. Is there anyway to break up the data into logical sections? Also is the data sitting on a registered SDE or a registered folder (FGDB) for publishing. If you will use the former, there might be performance issues once your users simultaneously hit the service, might need to do performance testing on the database and AGS machines and see if your memory and CPU usage will spike at a certain number of users. Vector tiles might work, you just need to locally create a vector tile package then upload to portal and publish. Just be sure the server where your datastore is setup has enough space.