Topology AddIn Guinea Pig wanted

04-19-2017 08:00 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

On a monthly basis I create a bunch of topologys to make sure that my polygon layers don't overlap or have gaps (ESN). I also run a topology on my street layer to find street segments that aren't snapped. This process consists mostly of models.

Since I always try to help my Public safety brethren, I figured I compile my process in a Python AddIn, that "should be easy to use". I started a day ago and have the skeleton of the AddIn finished and now I am looking for a Guinea Pig (I am looking at you Chris Donohue, GISP & Joe Borgione ) to use it!

Latest Update:

- Created an official document: Topology Check Python AddIn (6/30/17) 

- Added Error message when the wrong feature is chosen for certain Checks (i.e. polygon feature is chosen for dangle check)

- Now works with ArcGIS Desktop Standard

- Latest test version that includes a polygon break check. This check make sure that your line features are broken when they intersect with a polygon feature. Just select the line feature and polygon feature in the TOC and run the check.

Dropbox - TopoAddIn.esriaddin  10.3.1 + version

Here is what you need:

ArcGIS Desktop Standard 10.3.1 or later versions

Here is how it works:

1. You would download the add in HERE. (10.1 version HERE )

2. Double click it and install it.

3. Open an MXD and add a polygon layer and a street layer.

4.The toolbar should be there but if it is not click on Customize -> Toolbars -> TopoCheck

5. Follow the steps in the screenshot!

As I said it is still a work in progress, especially the street dangle check.

Let me know what you think!

Tim

Tags (2)
77 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Tim- glad to see you've survived the hurricane season thus far!!!!

timw1984

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Yes, I had to work at our EOC, since we are part of Emergency Management and now I am damage assessment mapping.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I figured you were really busy, and still are.  Could be a great presentation at next years' UC....

All the best!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thanks Joe! I need to think about that

0 Kudos
CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a users guide for this somewhere? I'm trying to figure out why the tool is giving me gaps around the borders of my district layers...Gap error around the edges of the Fire districts

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

There is always a 'gap' to the outside of a polygon feature class when you create a topology.  Literally, that's what it is, although it's pretty pointless at the same time....

CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

Hah and I thought I had too much caffeine or something.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I'm glad Joe was able to clear this up.

The download here https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-9983-topology-check-python-addin  includes a readme file.

0 Kudos