How to get Telephone Numbers, georeferenced to Parcels

01-08-2016 11:54 AM
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

Hi Geo Community:

I am looking to get LAN(Local Area Network) telephone numbers that are associated with properties here in the Town of Sidney, British Columbia. Does anyone know how to get these numbers? The Town's internal database is incomplete. Utility companies which have these numbers are private, so there may be issues with access. Is there a publically available database I can access telephone numbers, with properties associated with them? At the very least, telephone numbers with geo-reference. I can always do an overlay to get what parcels are associated to where the telephone numbers are positioned.

Thanks!

Jesse

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

This looks like something Joe Borgione might know as part of his emergency response work.

Also, adding Darren Wiens on the off chance he knows as he lives in your part of the world.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Just because I've been beckoned by Chris Donohue, GISP​, I'll add my largely uninformed two cents.

I can't imagine that such a database exists for the public. If it did, any business could immediately call every resident.

Also, I'm not sure if your plan is to automatically call or send texts, but for texts, at least, you do need prior consent from the recipient​ to conform with anti-spam laws, which means building your own database.

edit: I suppose one way to get your phone numbers through somewhat icky backdoor methods would be to screen scrape a website like White Pages for Canada - 411.ca with your list of addresses, but make sure it doesn't violate their terms of service (which I'm sure it would).

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Question for Darren (that is definitely answerable).  If there is an emergency in Canada, do people dial 911 on ones phone like they do in the United States to report it?  Being a different country, I wasn't sure if it Canada used the same standard/process.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I think it depends on where you live. Or at least it definitely did 20 years ago when I lived in an area without 911. It may be the case now that everyone has access to 911 somewhere, but they'll simply redirect your call to the appropriate local emergency service provider. I will go out on a limb and say that Canadian 911 services infrastructure lags behind that in America. I'm sure someone in the emergency field would know - we can all rest assured that is not me!

edit: it looks like about 98% of Canadians are now covered by 911 services. But, as I said before, I'm sure a good portion of those services are acting remotely and would simply relay the call locally.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I imagine quite bit of that 2% are isolated posts way, way up in the northern territories, where it's probably fly-in only.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I have to admit, official Canadian documents are certainly more interesting than American ones with the inclusion of these cartoons:

Figure 1: 9-1-1 is a brand with different outcomes across the country

911Canada_outcomes.jpg

Source:  A Report on Matters Related to Emergency 9-1-1 | CRTC

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

I find it surprising, official documents on 9-1-1 would have cartoons like that, guess our government has a ‘good’ sense of humour.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Usually, when referencing LAN telephony, you'd be talking about a limited "local" network, like within an office. Are you referring to VoIP? If so, here's some info on GEOPRIV - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3693.txt

0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

Hi there Chris,

Thanks for your replies – appreciate it.

Here’s some background about where I’m coming from. Our Fire Department is looking to purchase a mass notification service. The service is configured to use telephone numbers for notification. I am thinking LAN numbers are the way to go because they are associated to a particular location, whereas mobile is not. So if a database of LAN telephone numbers could be had, I would have it linked to this service for it to notify. So I am looking to get LAN telephone numbers for each parcel in the Town of Sidney. And to answer your question, no, it’s not an office scenario.

Jesse

0 Kudos