Select to view content in your preferred language

Is ArcGIS Online enough?

02-23-2024 06:35 AM
AniaWiatr
New Contributor II

Hello,

So I am still learning to understand the whole system of GIS mapping for the plant collection. Is Arc Gis Onlline alone enough to start mapping trees and shrubs in our gardens? Is it essential to have a second software (like Iris BG etc) in conjunction with ArcGIS to do plant mapping? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

If you want more options while mapping then yes I would highly recommend using ArcGIS Pro software via Windows computer (and the computer specs should obviously also meet the minimum software hardware requirements). 

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
AniaWiatr
New Contributor II

Thanks Ed. I am a very beginner and was warned that the desktop Pro version needs more training and learning curve. Looking for an option where I can just start and have a better understanding of what I would need in the future.

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

In that case yes AGOL is enough for now 🙂

Question | Analyze | Visualize
Laurel_Hill
New Contributor III

Hi @AniaWiatr - I agree with @Ed_  that AGOL has the capability and flexibility to begin building a map of trees and shrubs at the gorgeous  Philbrook Museum of Art. Do you have AGOL yet? Just because I'm curious, and to help Esri employees who might read this (like @AndresVazquez ;-), can you share a little bit more about your vision for the mapping project? It sounds like you will be starting from scratch? Do you all have a collections manager, collections policy, etc.? How deep into the records are you hoping to get (i.e., what fields will you need/want?). I do think that AGOL (if needed, through the Esri Nonprofit Program) could get you going. Good luck!

0 Kudos
AniaWiatr
New Contributor II

Hi @Laurel_Hill ! - that is a wonderful news! We are just about to commit to either AGOL or AGPro - and now with your advice we will most likely go for AGOL.

We kind of start from scratch and not at the same time.  About 10 years ago  there was an extensive tree mapping done with an old system and is sitting now ready to be moved into the new one. We are still trying to get an idea of a cost of this. If this is too much, we would start over again. I have been promoted to the position of Horticulture Curator last year with a mission to build a plant data collection.  We have some data that related to the historic plants, but anything that has been added to the plants collection other than trees has been sporadically recorded. Once I have a good tool to work with (ArcGIS) I can start mapping and gathering plant record data. 
The goal is to have a plant data collection that will be used for:
1. sharing with visitors through some web application
2. help horticulturists keep a track of plants' health and garden maintenance
3. possibly map our irrigation system too

Ania 

ERSIArcGIS
New Contributor II

Adkins Arboretum  found that ArcGIS Pro was necessary because of all the relational database tables that go into tracking plant records.  For example you have to link tables of Latin and common names for taxa with accession items for individual plant records.  I am really a beginner at GIS, but according our experts at the Washington College GIS program that put together the database, it couldn't be done easily without using ArcGIS Pro.  So yes, you can map plants and probably track their health and maintenance using ArcGIS online, but if you eventually want a more complex system that links that information with other information you are likely to need ArcGIS Pro.

Laurel_Hill
New Contributor III

Good points. But this is certainly something you can discuss with the Esri Nonprofit Partner team as you're discussing solutions your organization @AniaWiatr