Hi, I want to read SEG-Y format of seismic information, please help

07-13-2020 01:09 PM
LuisPenarrieta
New Contributor II

It is important for oil and gas industry.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Luis,

I would recommend that you look at some solutions provided by Esri Business Partners:

1. Exprodat - Data Assistant
  2. Geocap - Subsurface Portal for ArcGIS

There might be other options out there as well.  Esri does not provide much in the way visualizing SEG-Y files directly, but those business partners have developed solutions that integrate seismic data into ArcGIS.

We are making some new advancements in our software by adding support for visualizing continuous 3-dimensional data using voxels.  You will first see support for voxels in the upcoming 2.6 release of ArcGIS Pro and more to come in the future.

While the new voxel features won't immediately offer support for SEG-Y, there might be opportunities in the future to use them to visualize SEG-Y in 3D.

If you are just looking to visualize the survey outlines or trace locations, you may be able to do this using FME or the ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension.  These options don't enable you to view the true seismic data, though.

I hope that helps, please reach out if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Matt

LuisPenarrieta
New Contributor II

Hi Matt:

Thanks a lot Matt, it´s an especially important information for the future when we´ll be able to use voxels for visualizing 3D data. In this moment I am interested to know the SEG-Y format to see if it is possible to look a 2D seismic section in Arc-GIS PRO. If you could give me some information about that I´ll appreciated, very much.

Thanks,

Luis

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The best way to view the 2D seismic traces would be to use FME or ArcGIS Data Interoperability.  These tools support importing SEG-Y and can convert the trace locations to an Esri file format like a shapefile or feature class. 

Alternatively, the original survey provider may be able to provide a GIS-ready data format as well.  It may be worth asking them for that data as well.

LuisPenarrieta
New Contributor II

Hi Matt:

Thank you for your quick answer, I am starting to read about ArcGIS Data Interoperability, it sounds interesting and I´ve checked that it can import SEGY format. I need to clarify if this tool is included in the ArcGIS standard package or it is necessary to pay to use it. Please help me.

I have another basic question; how can I draw a line in ArcGIS Pro from a Python script? Who can help me? or what is the group to which I should send the question?

Thank you,

Luis

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Luis,

I'm on the same Esri team as Matt so can help with your question on Data Interoperability. This is an extension to ArcGIS so is not included in the core ArcGIS Desktop license.  Under the hood is uses many components from Esri Partner Safe Software who is a recognized leader in data translation workflows.  You can read more at the ArcGIS Data Interoperability product page at ArcGIS Data Interoperability | Easily Work with Different Data Formats 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Regarding your Python question, are you trying to create lines programmatically?

If so, you might look through this documentation: ArcPy: Writing Geometries.  That talks about how you can take a series of coordinates and create a line feature.

Let me know if it is something else that you are looking for.

You may get more answers by posting in the Python GeoNet community.

hammurabisevilla
New Contributor

Hello Luis Penarrieta, what kind of specific tasks you want to do? if you are just trying to visualize the seismic data, the best option is to use specific software for that task, but if you are going to do something specific with ArcGIS tools you can follow the the recommendations that are mentioned in the answers. There are many options available, I can give you more advice if you give more details of your issues. 

0 Kudos
ClaudeFrank
New Contributor II

I'd like to add here that there is a new format called MDIO that would also be useful to have access to via the Data Interoperability extension 

https://www.tgs.com/press-releases/tgs-launches-new-open-source-solution-for-multidimensional-energy...

0 Kudos