sde_client

02-05-2016 05:20 AM
LauraSimonetti
New Contributor II

What do you know about sde_client files?  I’ve read a bit about them but I would like to know more.  I have a *huge* folder on my computer that contains a ton of these files. Can you clear them out?  Do you have to keep them?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChristopherThomas
New Contributor III

Laura,

It's possible that you may have some sde log files enabled that are writing to that folder. What kind of extension does the file name have?

If you check your environment variables for the machine do you see any variables created named SDEINTERCEPT or SDEINTERCEPTLOC?

-Chris

LauraSimonetti
New Contributor II

Thank Chris!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Laura,

SDEINTERCEPT files help identify performance issue.  These files do not need to be kept.  Below is a helpful KB article with more information:

35704 - Diagnose ArcSDE connection and performance issues using SDEINTERCEPT

LauraSimonetti
New Contributor II

Thanks Jake.  I'll take a look at that article.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The KB article only shows support up to v10.2.  Has this functionality been deprecated at v10.3.x?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

The entire 'C' API was deprecated at 10.2, and no longer ships as of 10.3.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

It's certainly not the default behavior to create trace or intercept logs from ArcSDE 'C' API based applications.  If you or your IT staff haven't taken proactive steps to generate these logs, then whomever created the application may have left in more debug code than is good for overall system stability.  It certainly hurts client performance to log every action every time a function is called.

- V