Interactive Auto Number Tool

03-16-2016 12:45 PM
ScottZubek
New Contributor II

I'm looking for a tool out there for sequential auto-numbering... something that uses the edit tool (or something similar) to simply click on a polygon and drop a number in the designated field in sequence, and it would obviously have to be easy to reset as the edit session progresses.

I used a customized one before, but that was years ago. Anyone have any resources? I know there are scripts out there to use in the Field Calculator to auto-number a field in sequence, but this has to be a tool that is interactive with the polygon features on the map. I'm sure something simple is out there, and no point in reinventing wheels.

Thanks.

4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

Take a look at the Attribute Assistant:

Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions

You should be able to accomplish this using the autonumber method:

Attribute Assistant methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions

0 Kudos
ScottZubek
New Contributor II

Jake, that sounds like it would work, thanks. Two questions, first, can you put the download in a shared folder in dropbox or somewhere simliar? The download is 260MB (compressed) and it continues to get hung up around 26MB when I try and download it. Second, will the tool work with a polygon feature class? What I see mentioned in the list of uses seems to apply to points and lines.

Thanks again.

Scott Zubek, GISP

Tioga County GIS Dept.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried another solution download to obtain the attribute assistant?

Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions

Also, this should work for polygon feature classes as well.

0 Kudos
ScottZubek
New Contributor II

Jake, I see what you are saying. I used the gas-network editing one and it was only about 19.4MB which downloaded fine. I'll have to set up the field in my parcel layer to see if I can make it work. I'll post here to let you know. I for sure like how this is set up though, with a map document and all that has symbology which could be used for other projects. Thanks again.

0 Kudos