Using third party applications to provide functionality for ArcGIS WPS

06-21-2012 03:16 PM
Labels (1)
timothymurithi
New Contributor
Hi,

I have a simulation application developed independent of the ArcGIS platform using Java (.jar) that I would like to deploy as a WPS service using ArcGIS Server. The application takes a CSV file as input, does some calculations and then outputs another CSV file with the results. Please advice on the best procedure to achieve this. Thank you.

Timothy.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
YingqiTang
New Contributor
Hi Timothy,

There doesn't seem to be an easy one step way to solve that. The point is that Python is the native language to build GP tools and Models etc. for ArcGIS Desktop and Server. So if you can write a python script to call your Java application, then the rest is straight forward. Or if your Java application is not that complicated, then you can either re-write it in Python, or wrap your Java code as a GP tool using ArcObjects.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a simulation application developed independent of the ArcGIS platform using Java (.jar) that I would like to deploy as a WPS service using ArcGIS Server. The application takes a CSV file as input, does some calculations and then outputs another CSV file with the results. Please advice on the best procedure to achieve this. Thank you.

Timothy.
0 Kudos
timothymurithi
New Contributor
Hi Timothy,

There doesn't seem to be an easy one step way to solve that. The point is that Python is the native language to build GP tools and Models etc. for ArcGIS Desktop and Server. So if you can write a python script to call your Java application, then the rest is straight forward. Or if your Java application is not that complicated, then you can either re-write it in Python, or wrap your Java code as a GP tool using ArcObjects.

Thanks.

Hi Yingqi,

Thanks for your support! I managed to integrate my application using a Python script as you have advised. However I have a problem with parsing a File as input to my WPS service. What is happening is that the File input parameter (a text file containing some values) is converted to a string on the client ( I'm using QGIS WPS client, and have also tried the ArcGIS Viewers for Flex/Silverlight with the geoprocessing service). However, when I run the geoprocessing service from ArcCatalog, a file input interface is provided and am able to browse for a text file on disk and execute the service without a problem. What could be causing the problem with the other clients? Thanks.

Timothy.
0 Kudos