Service creation failed while using WMS Service Layer in Mxd

08-19-2011 09:20 AM
Labels (1)
GirishSomesh
New Contributor
Dear All,

I am using an WMS service from NOOA(http://nowcoast.noaa.gov/help/mapservices.shtml?name=mapservices) to display Hurricane path,Wind direction, Tornado Warnings etc..

I establish the connection to these services using ArcCatalog by "Add WMS Server" by passing the URL ( WMS service URL with User:NOAA/NOS and Password:nowCOAST as mentioned in the above url).

Using these WMS service i created an map(.mxd). When i try to publish this map(.mxd) as service in ArcGIS Server(I am using ArcGIS Server 9.3.1) the service creation fails with the following error message :"Unable to Start service. Error (Server object creation failed on all SOC machines. Server Object instance creation failed on machine xxxxxx.  The document contains secure (password-protected) layers. ).".

Could you please help me on this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TonyContreras
Occasional Contributor
Starting with version 9.3, ArcGIS Server does not support secured services as layers in a map service. This avoids some copyright issues that may arise. You can add the service as a separate resource in the map application you are using and will have the ability to supply the credentials when making the connection.
0 Kudos
GirishSomesh
New Contributor
Thanks for quick reply.. Can you please let me know how can we pass the credentials to the services.
0 Kudos
TonyContreras
Occasional Contributor
This will depend on the application you are using (ArcMap, Web ADF application, Web API). The documentation for each should explain how to connect to secure services.
0 Kudos
GirishSomesh
New Contributor
Tony I am working with Silverlight API (1.2Version) for ArcGIS Server.. and i connected these WMS layers in catalog and created a map in arcmap.
0 Kudos
TonyContreras
Occasional Contributor
I am not sure if that version of the API has native support for WMS layers, however I have included some documentation from the current release. I do not see any way to supply credentials for a secure service. You may want to visit the Silverlight Forums for help with adding your secure WMS layer to the application.

WMS Silverlight Sample

WMSLayer Class
0 Kudos