I need to open a MDB file in ArcGIS Pro

03-15-2018 08:52 AM
Labels (1)
WilliamVong
New Contributor

Hello everybody! I need to open a MDB file in ArcGIS Pro, but seems that the extension is no longer support in the Pro version, do you have any idea of how i can work with the MDB file? In some post i found that I need to use ArcCatalog and now I´m using the ArcGIS Pro trial version and there is no ArcCatalog in the Pro version.

18 Replies
applephx
New Contributor

I have this same quesiton.  I have ArcGIS Pro and nothing I can think of allows me to import or convert an mdb file into a gdb in ArcGIS

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You need to import everything to a filegeodatabase

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro does not allow for the use of Personal GeoDatabases.  (.mdb {Microsoft Database})

You will need to use ArcCatalog to create a File GeoDatabase and import your features to that.  Then you can use them in Pro. 

Personally one of my larger dislikes of Pro is the inability to use .mdb databases. At the least Pro should have a TOOL for importing from an ,mdb directly into a .gdb 

Moulay_AnwarSounny-Slitine
New Contributor II

https://youtu.be/VVYvztYVaPs 

I did a screencast here to show you the basics of converting it, but yeah you will need a copy of ArcMap to do it. It is a copy and paste from one format geodatabase to the other.  I wish they would convert ArcMap to a 'classic' version that would be included with ArcGIS Pro install, or at least make the ArcMap lic read off of an ArcGIS Pro lic automatically.  hard to renew the lic every year on your computer when you are spending most of your time in Pro

MichaelBrandonFalk
New Contributor

Watched the video. Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ESRI - With ArcMap no longer an option for new ESRI customers - what now?  Is there a plan to support the import of old data types ESRI once championed. 

Tags (1)
JenniferHarrison1
New Contributor

Just wanted to mention that FME can read .mdb files, and can write Geodatabase feature classes, so that might be an option.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jennifer!  I was not aware of that option.  Though I am a little disappointed that I need a $650 extension to open a file I used to work with on a basic license.

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I have ArcMap, I create new gdb and copy the mdb data into the new gdb.  ArcMap can read the new gdb data fine, put when I try to load it into pro I get this:

KeithAddison1_1-1710943867445.png

Why can ArcMap read from the new gdb but Pro can't?  The part I copy form the mdb to the gdb is an entire feature dataset that contains many feature classes.  The mdb data is from a utility company, so we're stuck with that format until they start using gdbs, which will likely be never.

0 Kudos