I need to open a MDB file in ArcGIS Pro

03-15-2018 08:52 AM
Labels (1)
WilliamVong
New Contributor

Hello everybody! I need to open a MDB file in ArcGIS Pro, but seems that the extension is no longer support in the Pro version, do you have any idea of how i can work with the MDB file? In some post i found that I need to use ArcCatalog and now I´m using the ArcGIS Pro trial version and there is no ArcCatalog in the Pro version.

18 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi William,

You will need ArcGIS Desktop to access the MDB database.  I don't believe there is a free trial of ArcGIS Desktop offered any longer. 

What type of data is in your MDB?  If it is just tabular data you can export the tables to a CSV using Access and then use these tables in Pro.  I would recommend importing the CSV files into a File Geodatabase so you can have access to more functionality.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Instead of the trial version, you may want to look into ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced for Personal Use   which includes ArcCatalog among other things.  

Powerful Tools

• ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap)
  • The most popular ArcGIS Desktop Extensions
  • ArcGIS Desktop software updates
  • ArcGIS Online Named User Account
  • 100 service credits for data storage, premium data access, and geocoding and analysis
  • A suite of ready-to-use apps for use anywhere, on any device
  • Living Atlas of the World with maps and data, including access to foundation content from Esri, on thousands of topics
  • Installation support
  • Unlimited access to self-paced e-learning on the Esri Training website.

ArcGIS For Personal Use  for more detailed info.

PLEASE NOTE:

ArcGIS for Personal Use comes with everything you need to map like a pro. Get access to the full range of capabilities on the ArcGIS platform to create rich, dynamic maps and apps. ArcGIS for Personal Use is ideal for existing ArcGIS users who want the same powerful software at home for noncommercial, personal use.
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Import it into a file geodatabase

0 Kudos
MaciejMoszumański
New Contributor

Can you give more informations how to import *.mdb database into *.gdb database?

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Actually did not consider you only have Pro. I have both so for me it is a simply matter of creating a new db and dropping it in.

Check the tools with PRO and see if there is a geoprocessing to do it for you

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

ESRI wants you to move to PRO. I did move and removed ArcMap. Now i can't open or even convert my personal geodatabases to file geodbs? How ESRI didn't think of this before? No gp tool or anything !!!??

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Don't remove ArcMap until you are 100% Pro.  And not even then

BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

Came in to say exactly this. We thought we were 100% migrated to Pro workflows and tools, about a year ago. Still finding random things that have hurdles, such as this.

Recently received a .mdb from a client, they were unable to provide in a different format. Glad I still have good old catalog to use for this...  no .mdb access via pro seems like a mis- step to me even if we are leaving .mdb's in the past. 

RobertGraham
New Contributor III

ESRI really needs to develop some included tool for converting MDB Access files into something legible by ArcGIS PRO.  They have just dropped support for a very popular format.  If ESRI wants PRO to be the desktop then at least make a GP tool for importing MDBs.